MSP Accuses MacDonalds Of “Snubbing Scotland”

• 04:30, 1 APR 2018
  MSP Kate Forbes is disappointed that Scottish restaurants won’t be included in the pilot

McDonald’s have snubbed Scottish customers by refusing to provide them with alternatives to plastic straws , campaigners have claimed. 

Scotland is set to become the first plastic straw-free country in Europe after the Sunday Mail’s Last Straw campaign.

Before the ban becomes law, companies are being urged to stop providing the environmentally damaging plastic straws.

Kate Forbes MSP who has launched a campaign to get rid of plastic straws 

The fast food giants are set to phase out plastic straws from their UK restaurants, only keeping them behind the counter for customers who ask for them.

The firm are also trialling paper straws from May in some of their 1300 restaurants – but they 
confirmed to the Sunday Mail that none of them will be in Scotland. 

The decision has been met with dismay by campaigners.

MSP Kate Forbes, who has led calls to ban plastic straws, said: “I recognise that a phased approach makes sense, particularly to ensure that any customers who need straws such as disabled customers can access alternatives. However, I am disappointed that Scottish restaurants won’t be included in the pilot.

“Scotland has been leading the way on environmental initiatives to tackle waste. We added a levy to all plastic bags first, we announced our intentions to introduce a deposit return scheme first and some of the first public bodies to ban plastic straws are in Scotland.

“It is disappointing that McDonald’s don’t recognise that people in Scotland are taking their responsibility to reduce plastic litter seriously as I know there will be lots of customers who actually want to choose an alternative to plastic straws.

“Once international chains recognise their own contribution to plastic waste and take actions to reduce it, I think we will start to make an impact. Every country has to take responsibility and I feel like McDonald’s are snubbing Scotland with their decision to base all pilots elsewhere.”

The Sunday Mail’s Last Strawcampaign has been backed by politicians, music venues and festivals, thousands of businesses and members of the public.

McDonald's are set to phase out plastic straws from their UK restaurants, only keeping them behind the counter for customers who ask for them (

Environment Secretary Roseanna Cunningham told us that she hopes to ban plastic straws by the end of next year in response to our campaign.

McDonald’s said: “Pilot restaurants were selected on an operational basis to ensure the most successful trial possible.

“Following customer feedback in Scotland and the rest of the UK, we’ll be moving our straws behind our counters.

“Together with our Scottishcustomers, we can do our bit for the environment and use fewer straws.”

Edited by BEARGER

Is it possible the SNP could get more petty and embarrassing? Do they have an endless supply of shitheads willing to prostitute themselves in the name of grievance? What to make of people who have such low self esteem that they vote for these clowns?