New manager rumours

Before anyone says 'Silva???' I'm thinking of his record at Olympiacos in a league similar to ours which is mainly dominated by two teams. Albeit AEK are the current champions for the first time in twenty odd seasons.

He wouldn't be my first choice - just trying to gauge opinion on him.

I don't think Rangers is a safe enough job for Frank de Boer right now. It's the opposite of safe in every way.

A board with a poor reputation, 5 managers in the space of a few years, an impatient support and a small chance of winning the league any time soon. The mismatch in ours and Celtic's finances has made the job a very hard sell in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Before anyone says 'Silva???' I'm thinking of his record at Olympiacos in a league similar to ours which is mainly dominated by two teams. Albeit AEK are the current champions for the first time in twenty odd seasons.

According to Wikipedia facts, he'd be far too risky given what we need.

Olympiakos: Won League with a team that had won the previous five leagues and quit after a season for personal reasons.

Hull: 6 months, relegated and resigned

Watford: sacked after 8 months

--------------

Not one to stick around.

Not what we need

Edited by buster.

11 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Very good manager, but I think he's out of our league. 

He's also a bit of a mercenary.

They saying goes you can't buy success! I disagree, when you can afford to buy the better players you will get more success. Until we can get some investment then we will always struggle to regain success. Any manager needs cash so as to build his team and his reputation, something we don't have so it restricts the appointment of a new manager.

8 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

They saying goes you can't buy success! I disagree, when you can afford to buy the better players you will get more success. Until we can get some investment then we will always struggle to regain success. Any manager needs cash so as to build his team and his reputation, something we don't have so it restricts the appointment of a new manager.

Money almost always buys success in football. Without an outstanding manager our chances of stopping Celtic in the next few years are very slim. Even assuming we made a great start to the season and were top at January, Celtic would sanction a spending spree and pretty much guarantee it didn't happen. We've been pretty lucky they've been generally pretty frugal this season, and made a bad decision to spend big on overrated loan player who can't even make the team. All that's done is made the gap between our squads artificially small, it doesn't represent the gap between our bank balances.

1 hour ago, cooponthewing said:

If we were to sign a manager of FDB quality I would be over the moan. The guy won three successive titles with Ajax and then took on car crash jobs at Milan and Palace. He would be a project manager and given 2/3 years to work on this. He also has an affection for the club.

There is nobody else with his qualities and the only other mentioned is perhaps Clarke? However, FDB has a winning mentality and record with Ajax as a manager and as a player with various clubs. He would be ideal for me.

I think he won 4 titles and lost a 5th on the last day drawing with a team down at the bottom of the league'.

54 minutes ago, buster. said:

According to Wikipedia facts, he'd be far too risky given what we need.

Olympiakos: Won League with a team that had won the previous five leagues and quit after a season for personal reasons.

Hull: 6 months, relegated and resigned

Watford: sacked after 8 months

--------------

Not one to stick around.

Not what we need

Preud homme quit Twente after 1 season also finishing a near second.

No matter whom we approach/sign , its pretty obvious we are going to make the same mistakes as before , any new manager should be in the stands watching us week in week out now , not in the summer , I don't really care about this finishing 2nd , 3rd , 4th nonsense , we aint finishing 1st we should be planning everything now around next season

2 minutes ago, rbr said:

No matter whom we approach/sign , its pretty obvious we are going to make the same mistakes as before , any new manager should be in the stands watching us week in week out now

How do you know he isn't?  And if he isn't, you are aware he can watch matches retrospectively, as they are all televised/recorded.  Or he can have an assistant watch them.