New manager rumours

Just now, alskoosher said:

When this ends is anyone's guess, Gerrard is in Rome with BT sport, I have always thought his agent would be doing the negotiations anyway.

After Danny Murphy's quotes yesterday attributed to have come directly from his mate Gerrard, I think this alleged deal is as far away as it ever was.

What Danny Murphy quotes ?

30 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

If you were offered the job of Rangers manager, would you turn it down?  If so, I'm sure you and McInnes have your reasons, but it's an opportunity that anyone would grasp.

You would think. But in the past Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean turned us down, and recently, McInnes and Clarke (if he was offered it). If Gerrard does likewise it's a huge embarrassment for our board. Easier to get a manager out than a board.

Ex-Liverpool teammate explains why Steven Gerrard hasn't taken the Rangers job yet

61 Shares
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

"I don't think he’s going to put himself in a position where he goes into a job with his hands tied in terms of the resources."

Danny Murphy has been speaking about the speculation linking Steven Gerrard with Rangers. Gerrard has reportedly held talks with the Scottish club about becoming their new manager, and more talks are expected this week. The former England captain is currently the U-18 coach with Liverpool but is said to be interested in the role at Rangers.

Murphy played alongside Gerrard for Liverpool between 1997 and 2004 and remains in contact with the 37-year-old. He has said that he spoke to him over the weekend, and his former teammate was happy with how the discussions with Rangers went.

"The truth is there’s nothing definitive. He has had talks and they were positive. I think that's a good thing for Rangers," Murphy told TalkSport on Monday morning.

"He’s got more (talks) this week. He’s a really ambitious guy. He always has been from the moment he walked onto the training pitch at Melwood as a young lad. He's also bright, and I don't think he’s going to put himself in a position where he goes into a job with his hands tied in terms of the resources he’s got to compete with Brendan. Ironic really isn’t it, that Brendan is at Celtic?"

The former Fulham midfielder said that the stumbling block for Gerrard taking the job relates to questions about Rangers' resources.

"I think he probably needs more reassurances regarding what they can give him," Murphy continued.

"The only thing with that is, how do you get concrete reassurances with something like that? I suppose as a football club Rangers can’t be trying to get someone like Steven who is young, hungry and ambitious to go there and try and compete and sell him a dummy. You have to think there's some credibility in what they’re trying to do. He seemed excited, but without the confirmation of what it actually really entailed."

The Scottish side lost 5-0 to Celtic on Sunday at Parkhead and had to watch their bitter rivals lift their seventh consecutive league title. Brendan Rodgers' team are vastly superior to Rangers and are on a much stronger financial footing. It would take an awful lot of investment for Rangers to topple Celtic and Gerrard's old Liverpool manager Rodgers.

He is right to seek assurances about money to spend on transfers, but surely there are easier managerial jobs for Gerrard to take and begin his career in the dugout. Even for an experienced manager, with money to spend, it would take a miracle for the current Rangers side to genuinely challenge Celtic's domination.

2 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

You would think. But in the past Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean turned us down, and recently, McInnes and Clarke (if he was offered it). If Gerrard does likewise it's a huge embarrassment for our board. Easier to get a manager out than a board.

What makes you think Clarke would turn it down?  If Gerrard turns it down, why is that a n embarrassment for the board?  Would you rather they were less ambitious and only asked managers they knew would accept it?

And you're right of course about getting a board out.  The simplest way to get a board out is to become a major shareholder and vote them out.  The reason we can't do that though is because these were the only people willing to put their money into our club.  I keep repeating it, but I am sure I heard King say that he was only there because no one else stepped up.  For all the noise many of our fans make about this, very few have been willing to do anything about it.  Club 1872 has struggled to reach their one million investment target which says it all really.  There are plenty of things I'd like this board to do differently as I've expressed many times, but I'd rather find out who the alternative is before I'd be wishing anyone out.

4 minutes ago, alskoosher said:

Ex-Liverpool teammate explains why Steven Gerrard hasn't taken the Rangers job yet

That is contradicted by the Roddy Forsyth piece or in other words there is a lot of noise out there at this time and whilst budgets will be a fundamental issue wrt negotiations, we won't really know until we really know.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

That is contradicted by the Roddy Forsyth piece or in other words there is a lot of noise out there at this time and whilst budgets will be a fundamental issue wrt negotiations, we won't really know until we really know.

Can't help with the detail, all I do know is that Murphy was SG's best man and is his best mate, that would make me go with Murphy before any reporter. 

1 minute ago, alskoosher said:

Can't help with the detail, all I do know is that Murphy was SG's best man and is his best mate, that would make me go with Murphy before any reporter. 

If Murphy had said something definitive, it might be worth more attention. What he said was in parts positive and in others left up in the air. Whilst his mate is negotiating, you wouldn't expect anything else.

5 minutes ago, alskoosher said:

So, SG is apparently questioning what resources he will have at his disposal....sound like normal negotiations to me.  There certainly didn't seem to be anything in Murphys comments to say that he wouldn't take the job...

8 minutes ago, Darthter said:

So, SG is apparently questioning what resources he will have at his disposal....sound like normal negotiations to me.  There certainly didn't seem to be anything in Murphys comments to say that he wouldn't take the job...

Listening to Brazil on talkSPORT is nothing short of scaremongering. Advising listeners that we are a financial shambles and SG should stay away as we have no money. Qualified it by saying he had consulted “people in the know” that we have no money. Telling SG to avoid anything to do with us. This is a national radio station getting in on the act of negative propaganda now.

Edited by cooponthewing