New manager rumours

1 minute ago, Bill said:

It's unlikely but I wonder if he has ambition to own part of the club? Or could he be the choice of future investors? The world of Rangers is so convoluted that anything is possible.

From a personal point of view even if I were worth as much as he is and he clearly already has enough to live in luxury for multiple lifetimes and despite the fact with such a pile I could afford to lose a bundle I would still be reluctant to throw it into a football team.

But perhaps I may feel differently if I had spent my life in football professionally.

I'm now also wondering if he will actually live locally. He has 4 young children one of them barely a year old.  I think I may have reservations about taking such a job and bringing young children into the poisonous atmosphere of the old firm divide.

Does he even grasp the depth of it?  Paul Gascoigne who grew up just across the border didn't until he found himself in it.

Gerrard’s appointment may certainly ruffle a few feathers in the East End.

The comment from the much-respected Klopp about Liverpool supporting him might upset a few of them who may now fear a real challenge to Brenda who was sacked by Liverpool.

My big hope for Gerrard is he’ll understand(as a former MF player) that many games are won or lost in MF.

1 minute ago, RANGERRAB said:

My big hope for Gerrard is he’ll understand(as a former MF player) that many games are won or lost in MF.

Interesting point. He obviously has a deep understanding of what's required from the midfield section. Is it going to be gutted? Or can he get the current incumbents operating effectively?

4 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Interesting point. He obviously has a deep understanding of what's required from the midfield section. Is it going to be gutted? Or can he get the current incumbents operating effectively?

I think people should stop reading so much into Gerrard the player. If player quality immediately transcended into coaching quality, Ferdinand, Lampard and Gerrard would all be managing EPL clubs - instead of being in the BT Sport studio tonight. Which got me thinking, how many decent English internationalists from the last 30 years or so have gone on to make good managers? 

This has John Barnes all over it. That said, Scottish football is a low level, and it does not require Guardiola to get Rangers playing winning football.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

1 minute ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

I think people should stop reading so much into Gerrard the player. If player quality immediately transcended into coaching quality, Ferdinand, Lampard and Gerrard would all be managing EPL clubs - instead of being in the BT Sport studio tonight. Which got me thinking, how many decent English internationalists from the last 30 years or so have gone on to make good managers? 

This has John Barnes all over it. That said, Scottish football is a low level, and it does not require Guardiola to get Rangers playing winning football.

Well apparently Brenda has already opined that he's confident Gerrard will manage Liverpool one day.  How he knows that since Gerrard has yet to manage anything other than an under 18's side I don't know.  Though admittedly Brenda knows both Gerrard and football a lot better than I do.

I would say that if Gerrard can't make a success of this his future managerial prospects are dim. If he can't dominate the other 10 in a league whose combined budgets will scarcely match his that's hardly a sign of future managerial brilliance. 

25 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Great you are starting optimistic and he has not even got the job yet.:D

Gerrard has agreed to 3 year deal with McAllister as no2 delay was proof of transfer funds which has now been put in place for all required parties to monitor at any point and he will be given £25m from outside investors. The tide could just be about to turn.

Here's an interesting opinion from Eamonn Dunphy ... questioned by a not-so-open studio chap:

One thing Souness and Gerrard have in common is their experience as "managers". I would assume having Gary McAllister about will help, and who knows who will stay on too?!

If the 25 million is accurate it's comfortably more than enough to completely dominate the other 10 providing Gerrard knows how to spend it and set up a team. If that dominance pans out then it just comes down to the meetings with them.

We could already have beaten them twice this season and that alone even with the inconsistency against also rans would have meant this title race would still be alive with only a single point in it. Fine margins indeed.

If nothing else I foresee Gerrard being desperate to succeed.  If he can't get this right his dreams of managing at an upper EPL level ie Liverpool could end right there in Glasgow.