Club confirm Lee Wallace and Kenny Miller suspended until further notice

Firstly I would be looking for a new keeper. lam not blaming Foderingham for Saturday as he did not have much chance with the goals but I will say we did miss out big time in not signing Gordon. We really need better than Foderingham. I have never seen such a big keeper being so crap at coming for crosses. His positioning at free kicks is poor and sometimes invites players to shoot at a certain spot of the goal. The rest are young and should be given a chance. Personally I don't think Docherty is ready to run the midfield as he is only 21 and nowhere near ripe.

Again on MNF, Gary Neville looked at how Guardiola changed a fragile Man City by strengthening key areas. 

If we presume we need 2 players for every position, the players that could be/should be decent enough, are:

Foderingham | XX

Tavernier | XX - Alves | XX - XX | XX - XX | XX

Docherty | McCrorie - Dorrans | Jack - Windass | XX

Candeias | XX - Morelos | XX - Murphy | XX

(I've gone with 4-3-3 because it includes most roles we'd need -- one of those midfield players can play as a #10., for example.)

We could probably make do with Foderingham, but a commanding GK would be good -- Wes can be back-up...

Our defence is weak; we need several additions. 

Midfield, perhaps only needs 1 or 2 good acquisitions; added steel and creativity.

Our attack is good, but lacking in options. 

As always, it's all about cascading leadership. It's all about the board appointing the right manager and the right manager putting the right players on the park in the right frame of mind with the right game plan. That much we all know.

Our problem has long been an inability to appoint the right manager, way before King, etc took over. We made a dog's breakfast of it after Jock Wallace left in 1978 before eventually getting it right with Souness, then bottled the decision but got very lucky with Smith, bought success with debt under Advocaat and haven't made one decent appointment since then, except reverting back to Smith when SDM ran out of even bad ideas. The idea that the current board is about to turn things round with an inspired appointment seems to be bordering on futile but I suppose we have to live in hope.

The events of Sunday will continue to be repeated until or unless the Rangers board shows some ability to select and capture the right manager and that won't be easy. As we see constantly in discussion here and elsewhere, it's extremely difficult to even construct a decent shortlist who would even consider coming to Rangers.

What. A. Fucking. Mess.

14 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Again on MNF, Gary Neville looked at how Guardiola changed a fragile Man City by strengthening key areas. 

If we presume we need 2 players for every position, the players that could be/should be decent enough, are:

Foderingham | XX

(I've gone with 4-3-3 because it includes most roles we'd need -- one of those midfield players can play as a #10., for example.)

We could probably make do with Foderingham, but a commanding GK would be good -- Wes can be back-up...

Midfield, perhaps only needs 1 or 2 good acquisitions; added steel and creativity.

A pertinent question might be......How does a prospective incoming manager view the squad in relation to demands/expectations and how much finance would be required to overhaul it to a 'satisfactory level'......The follow-up being, will that finance be available ? 

13 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Foderingham | XX

(I've gone with 4-3-3 because it includes most roles we'd need -- one of those midfield players can play as a #10. for example.)

Declan John? Where is he?

BTW, I saw the run-up to the OF game and there were clips of our stand-in captain Tavernier, banging in goals from various angles, including free-kicks et al. That made up for some of his at times lackadaisical defending. When we were up and running for a few weeks under Murty, we saw Tav and Candeias working together well and Tav getting to his own highest standards. Before that, and ever after the OF league game, he's been playing well within his own comfort zone (he's no competition at all). How many of his goals have come from penalties this season? How many decent free-kicks have we seen? Screaming shots from the edge of the area? Like those he had in his first season? What are they doing at training these last 10 months?

I sincerely hope we tie Cummings up soonish and play him alongside Morelos, rather than this one-striker-rubbish. We are not Bayern Munich, were any of the front three is able to unhinge a defence. Especially in a league like the premiership, where either you play against 6 to 8 defenders, or have two quality chaps around you making sure you don't see anything at all.

4 minutes ago, buster. said:

A pertinent question might be......How does a prospective incoming manager view the squad in relation to demands/expectations and how much finance would be required to overhaul it to a 'satisfactory level'......The follow-up being, will that finance be available ? 

That can't be answered until we know the name of the new manager. 

As for finance, money will be made available -- as it is for any new season -- but I don't think it'll be enough for a major overhaul; I don't think it needs it, to be fair, just 4-5 key acquisitions. 

2 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Declan John? Where is he?

BTW, I saw the run-up to the OF game and there were clips of our stand-in captain Tavernier, banging in goals from various angles, including free-kicks et al. That made up for some of his at times lackadaisical defending. When we were up and running for a few weeks under Murty, we saw Tav and Candeias working together well and Tav getting to his own highest standards. Before that, and ever after the OF league game, he's been playing well within his own comfort zone (he's no competition at all). How many of his goals have come from penalties this season? How many decent free-kicks have we seen? Screaming shots from the edge of the area? Like those he had in his first season? What are they doing at training these last 10 months?

I sincerely hope we tie Cummings up soonish and play him alongside Morelos, rather than this one-striker-rubbish. We are not Bayern Munich, were any of the front three is able to unhinge a defence. Especially in a league like the premiership, where either you play against 6 to 8 defenders, or have two quality chaps around you making sure you don't see anything at all.

I don't think he good enough. He could be a decent back-up. 

17 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

The directors have to be seen to be taking the side of the manager or else it weakens the position of future managers, and it may also put potential replacements off if they see that they are not going to get the full support of the Board.

This incident also makes it more difficult for the Board to replace Murty before the end of the season if they were considering it as it may then be seen to be bowing to the players.

I'd generally argue that the manager should be supported as well, although there have been incidents of me not doing that in the past (Souness v Roberts).

However as a fan, Murty's reaction of not speaking to the players because it may cause conflict is unacceptable. The performance on and off the park was dreadful and needed to be addressed. It just seems that Murty wasn't up to that task.

I find it hard to criticise senior players who react to such a level of incompetence from their manager. We are looking for players with a strong desire to win at our club and that is the sort of reaction that such players would be expected to give. Obviously we don't know exactly what was said but I don't want a team that meekly sits there and allows the performance to go unexamined because the manger doesn't have the balls to cause conflict.

I watched that Si Ferry/Ally McCoist video last night, it's pretty good actually. McCoist tells a story I'd not heard before. In training on a Friday under Souness they'd play Scotland v England bounce games and Souness would play for England. 'Scotland' were winning one week and started showing off, Souness took it badly and put a crunching tackle in on Ian Durrant, flattening him. As McCoist tells it Durrant sprung straight back up and turned to Souness and said "is that the best you've got?" Souness reacted by saying "no, this is" and punched Durrant sparking an all out brawl between the players. Half an hour later Souness walks into the dressing room and congratulates all the players telling them that's the spirit he wants to see! 

I can't see Murty doing that somehow. Managing a group of young men sometimes requires unconventional skills.