What's Happened to the Jukebox Thread?

4 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Exactly. Being into punk, metal and indie, i always thought Hawkwind were prog rock rubbish and the Kinks a poor mans Beatles or Stones. I now favour the Kinks above the Stones as i think their songs are cleverer and Hawkwind's Spacerock as its termed is fantastic if you skip the Michael Moorcock spoken word songs that is. But there are some bands/artists i wouldn't touch with a shitty stick and that include Blur, Paul Weller solo, Dire Straits, Genesis, Cockney Rejects and any prog rock. :) 

Where does the likes of Wishbone Ash stand with you?

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

Where does the likes of Wishbone Ash stand with you?

I would class as prog rock, along with UFO, Yes, Rush, Tull, Floyd and Emerson Lake & Palmer. Certainly not metal or heavy rock, but there are cross over bands that straddle genres such as Zeppelin whilst predominately rock, also stray in Prog with some songs and Motorhead and Maiden who have songs not out of place in punk, but are considered rock and metal respectively and also Hawkwind who started space rock and also range from punk to prog.  

Another view is the classifications are a load of pish and there is enough grey areas to make it pointless, and don't get me started on sub genres such as thrash metal, black metal, death metal, Nu metal, stoner metal etc etc. Broad categories are where i draw the line.  

I'd say Sgt Pepper is a prog album.  

I agree that too much is made of genres.  Someone like Van Morrison straddled rock, jazz, folk and blues on a single album, more than once.  And Contusion by Stevie Wonder is a prog rock belter.

6 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Music tastes definitely mature.  I loved the whole Madchester/indie scene as a kid but looking back, most of it was shite.  Still love The Stones Roses and the first two Verve albums though.

I liked Oasis when they first appeared but can't stand them now.  

The Bee Gees have written some fantastic songs but I never really got into them.  Queen, ELO, The Kinks and The Doors are four bands I really can't stand.

Wouldn't say I'm a prog rock fan, as such but have been obsessed with King Crimson since I was about 17.  

I find my tastes are more expansive now.  My collection of jazz CDs is growing much faster than any other genre.

I also still like Stone Roses but prefer(red) James and Happy Mondays (maybe liked Mondays due to the chaotic nature of their music / shows, resembled punk).

Didn't get "Brit Pop" but thought Pulp were / are head and shoulders above Oasis and Blur but weirdly like Damon Alburns spin offs - Gorilaz and Good, Bad and The Queen. 

Never got prog-rock ?

Being a young punk / ska fan, there was a lot of "snobbery" around other music, so it was difficult to admit liking music like Duran Durans 1st 3 albums, Human League Dare etc. 

I've rediscovered great bands like Spear Of Destiny, The Cult etc who released some brilliant albums in the early mid-80s. 

The great thing about music is that it's really personal - you like what you like for a reason, and that's all that really matters. 

However, I once got chased out of Ibrox in early 80s for wearing my punk gear and Sex Pistols God Save The Queen t-shirt - oh to be young and naive ?

22 hours ago, ian1964 said:

I think I appreciate more now bands and music that when I was young I didn't care much at all for them, maybe there is a touch of nostalgia involved in that? but listening to bands, songs now that were around back then I kind of like a lot of stuff I didn't back then! not sure if even I understand what I have just typed? ?

In think I know what you mean ?

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

Happy Mondays (maybe liked Mondays due to the chaotic nature of their music / shows

I would recommend having a listen to Can (particularly Tago Mago and Ege Bamyasi), as they were a big inspiration for The Mondays (as well as P.I.L. The Roses, Primal Scream and many others).  Very chaotic music but in a good way.

10 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Music tastes definitely mature.  I loved the whole Madchester/indie scene as a kid but looking back, most of it was shite.  Still love The Stones Roses and the first two Verve albums though.

I liked Oasis when they first appeared but can't stand them now.  

The Bee Gees have written some fantastic songs but I never really got into them.  Queen, ELO, The Kinks and The Doors are four bands I really can't stand.

Wouldn't say I'm a prog rock fan, as such but have been obsessed with King Crimson since I was about 17.  

I find my tastes are more expansive now.  My collection of jazz CDs is growing much faster than any other genre.

Queen, Queen II ,and Sheer Heart Attack are where it's at for me with them, and i can't stand listening to Bohemian Rhapsody unless it's played as part of Night at the Opera.

You're bang on about the Doors though ,they are the most overrated band ever.

11 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Exactly. Being into punk, metal and indie, i always thought Hawkwind were prog rock rubbish and the Kinks a poor mans Beatles or Stones. I now favour the Kinks above the Stones as i think their songs are cleverer and Hawkwind's Spacerock as its termed is fantastic if you skip the Michael Moorcock spoken word songs that is. But there are some bands/artists i wouldn't touch with a shitty stick and that include Blur, Paul Weller solo, Dire Straits, Genesis, Cockney Rejects and any prog rock. :) 

You singled them out ?. you're not bitter then.