What's Happened to the Jukebox Thread?

30 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I liked Oasis when they first appeared but went off them in 1996/97.  They got boring very quickly and from a musical perspective, they just aren't very interesting.

It's mad how we got from a wee lassie doing a beautiful (for those with sea legs) rendition of a song about Glen Kamara to a debate about the musical worth of oasis. For all that I agree, it felt a bit formulaic. However, pick up the wonderful book by Ralp McTell and see how easy it is to replicate words and melodies 10ks of people will sing back to you word for word.  Again, my favourite of their tunes is upto no good in the bushes, so not defending them - I'm ambivalent. Just surprised a few chords played in rapid succession could make a grown man dizzy.

Overall, it's not my tastes, the 90s I was still a kid throwing raves and DJing - barely heard a song with a guitar in it. JD still the best Manchester band (apart from Morris who is from Macclesfield, very important difference - hope I'm not screwing that quote up, but if you know you know)

2 minutes ago, bmck said:

Just surprised a few chords played in rapid succession could make a grown man dizzy

It's more the childish melody and that lassie's whiny singing making me want to vomit than chords, wobbly legs or dizziness.

3 minutes ago, bmck said:

JD still the best Manchester band

New Order were better (but still not the best).

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's more the childish melody and that lassie's whiny singing making me want to vomit than chords, wobbly legs or dizziness.

New Order were better (but still not the best).

It's okay to be wrong. Even if it's twice in a post. We live, we learn.

Edited by bmck

There's no right or wrong really.  If you want to listen to a girl who sounds like her cat just got run over* then that's up to you.  

*I could say a lot worse about Curtis

13 minutes ago, bmck said:

JD still the best Manchester band (apart from Morris who is from Macclesfield, very important difference - hope I'm not screwing that quote up, but if you know you know)

JD were an amazing and unfortunately short lived band. 

New Order are another amazing band and whilst they kept the JD torch burning (and it's brilliant hearing them play JD songs as part of their live sets), they changed their style and emerged with some great songs / albums of their own

I have days where I think NO were better than JD then I listen to JD and realise that in my oponion, they are not.

Have NO and JD versions of Substance album on vinyl and still play them constantly.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

There's no right or wrong really.  If you want to listen to a girl who sounds like her cat just got run over* then that's up to you.  

*I could say a lot worse about Curtis

You're just trying too hard now. It's all just tastes and preferences at the end of the day. Why so serious.

3 minutes ago, CammyF said:

JD were an amazing and unfortunately short lived band. 

New Order are another amazing band and whilst they kept the JD torch burning (and it's brilliant hearing them play JD songs as part of their live sets), they changed their style and emerged with some great songs / albums of their own

I have days where I think NO were better than JD then I listen to JD and realise that in my oponion, they are not.

Have NO and JD versions of Substance album on vinyl and still play them constantly.

For me it's about the rawness of the sound and the depth of the lyrics. Even as a kid into dance music, once you subtract Curtis' lyrics they're the other talented musicians in the band.

Nothing against New Order at alll - I love them. They just can't be reasonably compared to JD, in my view. It depends on what you value in music. What's in She's lost control is in Gotterdamarung.