What's Happened to the Jukebox Thread?

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

I usually listen to these masterpieces in silence but fuck me that's absolutely dreadful

I loved loads of 'Indie' music when I was a kid but grew out of most of it when my tastes expanded and matured.  I have loads of mates who still go to 'Indie' nights and listen to the same stuff they did when they were 14 - I understand the nostalgia but music can be so much better than that. 

My father and his generation were the same with punk.  It served a purpose but then became pantomimesque.  

Finding new inspirations and discarding old favourites is half the fun (I might just be a heartless git though).  

26 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I loved loads of 'Indie' music when I was a kid but grew out of most of it when my tastes expanded and matured.  I have loads of mates who still go to 'Indie' nights and listen to the same stuff they did when they were 14 - I understand the nostalgia but music can be so much better than that. 

My father and his generation were the same with punk.  It served a purpose but then became pantomimesque.  

Finding new inspirations and discarding old favourites is half the fun (I might just be a heartless git though).  

Yup, you have to keep moving. Or what's the point?

54 minutes ago, Bill said:

I usually listen to these masterpieces in silence but fuck me that's absolutely dreadful

Opinions are like arseholes, we've all got one..... 

Inspiral Carpets - Cool As Fuck. 

10 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Inspiral Carpets - Cool As Fuck. 

I saw them in Carlisle in 1991 (I think).  My brother loved them (at the time) but I never really got it.  

I remember arguing with an attractive lassie in hotpants about who was better - Inspiral Carpets or Stone Roses - on the bus back from Spike Island.  She won because of the hot pants (an 11 year old boy is never going to win an argument with a 17 year old lassie in hotpants, let's face it).   

I was right though.  The Roses were infinitely better.

Edited by Gonzo79

38 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I saw them in Carlisle in 1991 (I think).  My brother loved them (at the time) but I never really got it.  

I remember arguing with an attractive lassie in hotpants about who was better - Inspiral Carpets or Stone Roses - on the bus back from Spike Island.  She won because of the hot pants (an 11 year old boy is never going to win an argument with a 17 year old lassie in hotpants, let's face it).   

I was right though.  The Roses were infinitely better.

Roses were better than Carpets, their debut album is up there with the best debut albums of all time.

Just my humble opinion, but Mondays were the best of that "indie" / "Manchester" scene (just pipping James, oh and Carter USM are worth a mention, great live band) as they were more "interesting" then any other band of that era. Like The Roses, they were so poor live, they were actually good.

However, given that The Cramps are one of my all time favourite bands, best taking my opinion on music with a pinch of salt ?

Edited by CammyF