Poll: Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager - Yea or Nay?

Is Gerrard a good appointment?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gerrard a good appointment?

• Yes - he'll bring a profile and respect much needed at the club
    • No - we need experience and pragmatism, not another risk
    • Undecided - it's exciting but also gives me the fear

Rumours around the possible appointment of Liverpool playing legend Steven Gerrard have exploded overnight with stories now suggesting he and Gary McAllister are the favoured management team to take over from Graeme Murty this summer.

Across social media and our forum opinion is split on this appointment.  Understandable (though arguably inaccurate) comparisons are being made with Graeme Souness' arrival as player-manager in 1986 with Gerrard's world reputation exciting many Rangers fans.  On the other hand his obvious lack of experience - despite the possible presence of former Leeds and Coventry manager McAllister - means just as many bears are worried about the prospect over another risky move.

With Gerrard the now the clear bookies' favourite for the job (and many actually closing the betting in that regard) it seems this surprise move may well be confirmed sooner rather than later.  Will the appointment capture the imagination of those still to renew their season ticket or is Mark Allen out on a limb? 

Vote in our fun poll now!

• Frankie changed the title to Poll: Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager - Yea or Nay?

I'm No! No! A Thousand Times No!!, but then I'm not in the camp that state we need experience and pragmatism. 

I want a modern, tactical coach -- young or experienced -- which they have to have demonstrated in their work.

I'll get behind him, whoever it is, though.

I'm undecided but leaning towards why not. He would need a strong team around him. I haven't been impressed with any names linked so far tbh. It is a gamble, guess he also knows how Rodgers works inside out. I don't see why it couldn't work he has experience of working with some great managers and played in the world's biggest tournaments. That experience and mentality alone could be priceless.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Maybe he's demonstrated this at the level he's at?

Perhaps. I admitted as much on the other thread. I wish I knew more about his style, and what he could bring. I've not seen/read anything to suggest what it might be. 

I'm undecided. It strikes me as stupid to play roulette again at such a crucial time in the club's history.

On the other hand Steven Gerrard is one of the biggest names in world football. You just can't argue that he would bring much needed positive attention to our club from around the globe. And crucially he could make a huge difference in persuading higher quality players to join. Playing under Steven Gerrard with the prospect of a run in Europe would be a huge draw to players all over the world.

No from me.

On the face of it, we are going from an U20 coach to an U18 coach!. Yes he could turn out to be successful but this is just another gamble from our board, another project!. Being a world class player means nothing when it comes to managing