Poll: Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager - Yea or Nay?

Is Gerrard a good appointment?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gerrard a good appointment?

• Yes - he'll bring a profile and respect much needed at the club
    • No - we need experience and pragmatism, not another risk
    • Undecided - it's exciting but also gives me the fear

6 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

Not even sure he would be the third best manager in the league.

Just cant fathom how we can fall so low so quickly that we can't even attract a better manager than Kilmarnock. Must be some serious issues behind the scenes.

A little bit of context.

KIlmarnock got Clarke because that is where he comes from and family circumstances helped make his decision for him. At that time we weren't in competition for his signature.

10 minutes ago, buster. said:

A little bit of context.

KIlmarnock got Clarke because that is where he comes from and family circumstances helped make his decision for him. At that time we weren't in competition for his signature.

For me still doesn't explain the drop. Clark isn't that good of a manager and way below where I would see us but he is without doubt a far higher caliber than Mccinnes canixiha and Gerard . We are shopping down at Motherwell level here. Literally guys who should be paid no more than £70-80k a year. Literally McNamara level when he was at thistle. 

if we pay Gerard anything above £100k then everyone involved should be sacked.

got to be serious questions asked here. We go for a under 20's coach who is useless in murty and its explained off as wanting a better caliber come summer then come summer we go for another under 20's coach. Sorry but we must be in serious trouble. No other explanation explains what's going on especially when added to the fact our new signing policy seems to have reverted to freebies and loans again.

nobody who cares for the club wants to think it or believe it but it's past the point of denial now. Something serious is up 

Edited by trublusince1982

2 minutes ago, trublusince1982 said:

For me still doesn't explain the drop. Clark isn't that good of a manager and way below where I would see us but he is without doubt a far higher caliber than Mccinnes canixiha and Gerard . We are shopping down at Motherwell level here. Literally guys who should be paid no more than £70-80k a year. Literally McNamara level when he was at thistle. 

if we pay Gerard anything above £100k then everyone involved should be sacked.

got to be serious questions asked here. We go for a under 20's coach who is useless in murty and its explained off as wanting a better caliber come summer then come summer we go for another under 20's coach. Sorry but we must be in serious trouble. No other explanation explains what's going on especially when added to the fact our new signing policy seems to have reverted to freebies and loans again.

nobody who cares for the club wants to think it or believe it but it's past the point of denial now. Something serious is up 

I'd agree that I don't see Gerrard as a likely solution and that it's a bad situation if we can't attract better and more suitable candidates for the current challenge.

I don't think the salaries you quote as realistic.

If the appointment goes ahead, those questions will be asked and it will be interesting to hear the answers as well as all the other details.

27 minutes ago, buster. said:

I'd agree that I don't see Gerrard as a likely solution and that it's a bad situation if we can't attract better and more suitable candidates for the current challenge.

I don't think the salaries you quote as realistic.

If the appointment goes ahead, those questions will be asked and it will be interesting to hear the answers as well as all the other details.

Kilmarnock have a cap of £1000 a week and I know for a fact McNamara was on £70k at Thistle and then got double when took over at Utd. We shouldn't pay anymore for a completely untested manager. Agree maybe I was a bit low and upto £150k is maybe more realistic though bonuses and sponsorship deals more readily available with us should see a lower basic than the likes of thistle who's win bonus ain't expected with regularity .

all that being said reading what Gerard has said since taking over Liverpool under18's it seems very unlikely he would come here.

Playing devil's advocate to the Murty v Gerrard thing because I see the questions are valid...

Murty v Gerrard on paper, looking at their playing careers before becoming youth coaches are like night and day. Gerrard had 500 or so as captain of Liverpool over a 15+ year period and 100+ for England. On paper that would seem to suggest he'll be used to dealing with a wide variety of player styles, egos and foibles. He is used to the pressure of playing in a goldfish bowl city like Liverpool and the intense media attention you get when playing for England.

But when it comes to managing he's clearly got as little experience as Murty has. But going back to the above positives, one of the most worrying aspects of Murty's reign is that he appears a fragile character close to tears with the pressure and attention - if that's representative of his character, you can see why he's lost the dressing room.

Also, and i keep going back to this, many of the problems on the pitch and off the pitch aren't new problems. They've been there for all to see under at least three managers, so we need a clear out and a new firm line laid down to players who can't just down tools and get managers sacked when they feel like it.

And yes, I realise i'm being hopelessly optimistic, but it could be an exciting time. Or an utter disaster. Or somewhere in the middle. Pretty much like every managerial appointment is.

Gerrards name brings excitement due to his playing career.....the key (as I've said before) is if he can transition into a 1st team dressing room as a manager/coach.

i would say that there is POTENTIAL for it to be an amazing piece of business, and he could bring massive success to the club.....but there is also the flip side & we're back to square one in 6 months.