The Ritual Humiliation of Diane Abbott

47 minutes ago, Eileebee said:

I do think if you need to resort to talking about how people look (positive or negative) it undermines your argument somewhat.

As long as you cover the main point, you can add in whatever you want afterwards.

How many females voted for Macron and Treadeu based on their policies, I wonder?  Women always slate men for judging them on how they look but women't magazines are full of articles about celebrity weight issues, diets and cellulite.  

I don't really care what a politician looks like.

30 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

As long as you cover the main point, you can add in whatever you want afterwards.

How many females voted for Macron and Treadeu based on their policies, I wonder?  Women always slate men for judging them on how they look but women't magazines are full of articles about celebrity weight issues, diets and cellulite.  

I don't really care what a politician looks like.

You can add in what you wish but need to accept you might be called out on it. 

Sweeping generalisations about something you have no concrete proof for is always an argument winner. 

Okay. 

I didn't realise this was an argument.  

I did say 'I wonder', so it was quite clear I wasn't attempting to provide concrete proof about voting habits.

May and Sturgeon are doing okay, proving that aesthetics can't be that important in British politics.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

I didn't realise this was an argument.  

I did say 'I wonder', so it was quite clear I wasn't attempting to provide concrete proof about voting habits.

May and Sturgeon are doing okay, proving that aesthetics can't be that important in British politics.

If Theresa May looked like Diane Abbott she wouldn't be PM. If Tony Blair had looked like Cyril Smith he would never have been PM. David Cameron had looked like a Tory PM otherwise he would never have been one. How we look to others dictates a great deal about how they feel about us. Denying that might seem politically correct, perhaps even morally correct, but it's futile. We're not nearly as cerebral as we like to think. Men chase beautiful women, different men admire the same beautiful woman. Women favour handsome men. Beauty might be in the eye of the beholder but the margins of tolerance are slim. That's why, since the dawn of our species, we have made (and continue to make) judgements based on appearance. 

Don'd agree? Read this ... To those that have shall be given

• 2 weeks later...

Every government and opposition I remember have always had at least one ‘clown’ figure who never seem to get sacked, no matter how much of an arse they made of themselves. I honestly think the leaders like having them visible as they make the leaders look competent by comparison. 

I actually liked Diane Abbot when she used to be on This Week. She seemed funny and clever. I think you have to be an alky to get on that programme though, and sadly I think that is what is behind her recent embarrassing appearances in public. She probably never dreamed she’d be shadow Home Secretary & panics in case she ever had to actually do it for real!