Ibrox proposed parking restrictions

31 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

The supporter liaison has made a very recent comment on this elsewhere.

Rangers oppose the proposals due to a lack of increased transport infrastructure.

Rangers Football Club is opposing the proposed Ibrox Stadium event day parking restriction proposals

We believe the proposals are flawed and completely unworkable in their current format for a number of reasons including the absence of a comprehensive transport infrastructure review and lack of provision for additional sustainable transport methods within the proposal.

The majority of supporters will be affected - approx. 32,500 travel into Ibrox from out with the Glasgow area with approx. 35,000 traveling by Private Motor Vehicle.  Given both of these figures, it is clear to the club that there is not enough current public transport infrastructure to cope with an increase in demand resulting from this proposed order.

Additionally it is believed that alternatives methods of transport do not have the capacity at this time to cope with current demand.  The Subway network currently is utilised by an average of 4,500 supporters per game and there is no provision within the proposal to ensure a large increase in capacity.

Further Supporters’ coaches take approx. 8,500 supporters per game. It is believed that under the current proposal there is a lack of sufficient coach parking spaces to cope with the potential increase in demand resulting from the proposal.

The Club believes that it would be prudent to ensure there is additional public transport such as improved rail links available for use prior to the consideration of additional parking controls.

We also believe that the permit distributional model is flawed.

We believe the proposed parking permit zone boundary will result in a detrimental effect to other local communities out with the proposed parking zone. 

The Club have been contacted by numerous supporters and supporters groups extremely concerned about the proposals and are keen to represent their feelings on the matter. 

We encourage our supporters to object to the proposed Order.

Any person wishing to object to the proposed Order must submit this in writing to Andy Waddell, Head of Infrastructure and Environment, Land and Environmental Services, Exchange House, 231 George Street, Glasgow, G1 1RX or email saferparking-ibroxstadium@glasgow.gov.uk and it must be received by Friday 25 May 2018.

28 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Also it's quite amusing to note that the supporter liaison's father has waded in to the debate ...

... to defend his son against a grammar critic!

Technically Rangers rather than myself :$

But in all seriousness this is not a topic to joke about - if it goes through it will change the match-day dynamic completely and with unpredictable consequences

1 minute ago, RangersFCSLO said:

... in all seriousness this is not a topic to joke about - if it goes through it will change the match-day dynamic completely and with unpredictable consequences

Yes.  I'm in favour of parking restrictions but based on the numbers mentioned it is probably much better to try something on a smaller scale.

A train station would be very handy too.

On 5/18/2018 at 14:17, Frankie said:

I think blue badge holders can still park outwith these marked spaces as well (i.e. in existing areas as long as they're not double yellow lines).

Like I say, not sure if such areas are time limited though (the marked spaces won't be).

Unsure also re the time issue in the case of 'event' parking, but my understanding is Blue Badge holders can park on double yellow lines (unless there are loading and unloading restrictions in place or less than 15 meters from a junction), in England and Wales there's a 3 hour time limit but no such limit applies in Scotland. 

Once got Dragonfly Trumpeter ticketed for parking in a loading zone but I did get it cancelled on appeal.