The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

A bit of a bother re the Skrtel signing, since various reliable sources where informed that the deal was almost done, including King's go-to journo Devlin. Now, Skrtel has apparently pulled the plug and TRO say that "Rangers have never targetted him". As I use to say, I only get excited if I see players at Ibrox or Auchenhowie, ink drying on the contract on the table.

EDIT:

Skrtel's agent has come out and said that there HAS been dialogue with regards to a potential move to us. The agent even stating he WANTS to come to us. It seems the stumbling block is financially related, it wasn't specified whether that's to do with wages or transfer fee.

I ... am not to bothered. Supposedly 2.7m for a 33-year old with a few injuries along the way? We still have Cardoso and Alves and I wonder whether Gerrard will want to have a look at them when he starts his job in 8 days time.

Edited by der Berliner

SunSport exclusively revealed earlier this week that Skrtel was set to pen a three-year deal at Rangers to work under ex-Liverpool team-mate Gerrard.

But reports yesterday claimed Rangers weren’t interested in the Fenerbahce star.

Now though, Skrtel’s agent Karol Csonto has spoken out and insisted that the Ibrox club DO want his client.

But while he admitted that while Skrtel would be “honoured” to play for Gerrard, he also said the move could be financially difficult.

As reported on Slovakian website Pro Futbal, Csonto said: “Rangers are interested in Martin.

“I personally talked to Steven Gerrard about this possibility.

“Martin has sincerely said it would be an honour for him to play under Steven’s direction for three years.

“There are, however, complex financial matters. They are terribly far apart.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2682894/martin-skrtel-rangers-keen-apart-agent/

Rangers do want Martin Skrtel insists agent but finances are 'far apart'
Reports on Tuesday night claimed the Slovakia captain was not a target for Steven Gerrard.

By
Record Sport Online

• 09:10, 23 MAY 2018

The Martin Skrtel to Rangers proposed transfer has taken another twist.

Record Sport exclusively revealed three weeks ago the Fenerbahce centre-back was top of Steven Gerrard’s wishlist.

It appeared the deal was on earlier this week, with Turkish media claiming it was "very close".

But late on Tuesday night reports surfaced that claimed Rangers were not interested in the 33-year-old Slovakia captain.

However, Skrtel’s agent Karol Csontó on Slovakian TV station Markíza insisted the Ibrox giants do want Skrtel.

Csonto claimed he has spoken to Gerrard but finances could prove a stumbling block.

He said: "Rangers are interested in Martin. I personally talked to Steven Gerrard about this possibility.

"Martin has sincerely said it would be an honour for him to play under Steven’s direction for three years. There are, however, complex financial matters. They are terribly far apart."

Skrtel played alongside Gerrard at Liverpool, with the imposing central defender winning the League Cup in 2012.

He is said to be interesting clubs in Russia and China.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-want-martin-skrtel-insists-12581421

There you go.

33 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Not surprised it's financial. He's probably on way more than we could ever offer in Turkey. 

Plus, Turkey have a bit of a reputation of over paying players, similar to China, but at nowhere near the same extent. You'll probably find that they're more than happy for Skrtel to leave to get him off the wage bill...

1 hour ago, Franc Ergs said:

if it's so much of an honour for him to play under Gerrard ,then why is money even an issue ?

It’s one thing for it to be an honour to player for Gerrard, it’s another thing to essentially pay about £2.5m out of your own pocket to do it. He is apparently on 70k a week and we would probably only offer about 20-25k.