The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

To be fair to the board I think the short term approach they took was largely approved of by our support and still is today. They need absolute success and they need it yesterday. So if that means signing Sandaza, Boyd, Alves, Barton etc then that’s what we’ll do. Signing players primarily with investment and the longer term in mind is not worth the risk. Building a team with 3 years time in mind is unthinkable. The irony is that you’ll often get better results today when you do this, as the likes of Leipzig have discovered and as we have discovered inversely with almost all our expensive veteran signings over the past few years delivering awful value for money. 

Alves and Barton are poor examples because, by that point in time, we were back in the Premier league.

We will most definitely have to agree to disagree if you think that it made sense to be paying Ian Black 8k a week to play in the 4th tier of Scottish football.  The spine of the team could have been seasoned professionals - we already had McCulloch there - have a seasoned spine and then build around it with youth and investment type players.

I will take the word of my bestie (Kevin Thomson, right Rousseau :D ) over any of us when he said "Coisty missed a chance there by not playing more of the younger players". 

Case in point... Ryan Hardie has been banging goals in for Livvy in the Championship this past season, yet McCoist wouldn't even give him a sniff in the lower leagues.  There are plenty of others like that too.

We certainly did not need to be signing players like Kyle, Sandaza, Black, Daly, Boyd etc to be coming back up through the leagues.  It was an opportunity to create a philosophy in terms of playing style AND giving younger players a chance - but McCoist didn't, he went the tried and trusted of spending a ton of money, which ultimately became a plaster over a gaping wound.

Andy Newport reporting that a 3 million fee with Brighton has been agreed and that we are now in talks with Goldson.  No medical arranged yet and it could be next week before the deal is concluded.

Some Brighton fans reckon he could do a "Van Dijk" in Scotland - if he can then that would be an excellent signing.  I read the thread on the Brighton fans forum and whilst many were saying that he was their 3rd or 4th best CB I didn't really see one post that said he wasn't a good player.  The only concern for me from reading that thread (aside from his heart surgery) would be that he isn't particularly physical.  A ball-playing, quick and mobile CB is what I read a fair bit of.  That would suit me !

The problem with ‘living within our means’ is that it means we will never catch Celtic. They keep getting Champions League cash while we keep getting nothing. Unless there is up front investment, it will never be an even playing field - something which is happening in more and more European leagues (one team dominance).

However there is one way we could make up the gap, by buying cheap and selling big. Imagine we had taken that alleged £12million for Morelos? That probably equates to a full seasons ticket money & half of a retail deal.

However, signing any players from England is not going to achieve this, because their sell on value immediately goes down by playing in the SPFL. We seemed to be doing this last year by signing Cardoso & Morelos, maybe even Pena & Herrera, however we shouldn’t abandon the model just because Caixinha was rubbish! Yet look at one he did sign for about 1millon - Candeias. Arguably the best player in the league last season. But if he had been playing down south, he’d cost about 10million (maybe 5 in the championship) we should be signing players from Serbia & Sweden. 11 players of Candeias standard & we wouldn’t be far behind, or too skint. But we just won’t get that value in the English leagues. Yet that seems to be the market Gerrard knows..

1 hour ago, craig said:

Andy Newport reporting that a 3 million fee with Brighton has been agreed and that we are now in talks with Goldson.  No medical arranged yet and it could be next week before the deal is concluded.

Some Brighton fans reckon he could do a "Van Dijk" in Scotland - if he can then that would be an excellent signing.  I read the thread on the Brighton fans forum and whilst many were saying that he was their 3rd or 4th best CB I didn't really see one post that said he wasn't a good player.  The only concern for me from reading that thread (aside from his heart surgery) would be that he isn't particularly physical.  A ball-playing, quick and mobile CB is what I read a fair bit of.  That would suit me !

A player's level of physicality may be a result of the system which he was utilized in. The statistics for this cat don't lie (6'3" 190lbs). He is a big dude (same height and ~weight as Van Dijk) who has the tools to bang if needed.

I am stoked about this guy.

35 minutes ago, 917 said:

The problem with ‘living within our means’ is that it means we will never catch Celtic. They keep getting Champions League cash while we keep getting nothing. Unless there is up front investment, it will never be an even playing field - something which is happening in more and more European leagues (one team dominance).

However there is one way we could make up the gap, by buying cheap and selling big. Imagine we had taken that alleged £12million for Morelos? That probably equates to a full seasons ticket money & half of a retail deal.

However, signing any players from England is not going to achieve this, because their sell on value immediately goes down by playing in the SPFL. We seemed to be doing this last year by signing Cardoso & Morelos, maybe even Pena & Herrera, however we shouldn’t abandon the model just because Caixinha was rubbish! Yet look at one he did sign for about 1millon - Candeias. Arguably the best player in the league last season. But if he had been playing down south, he’d cost about 10million (maybe 5 in the championship) we should be signing players from Serbia & Sweden. 11 players of Candeias standard & we wouldn’t be far behind, or too skint. But we just won’t get that value in the English leagues. Yet that seems to be the market Gerrard knows..

True, we won't get that much value in the English leagues. This is one of those things where you must cede some ground. Gerrard knows Liverpool and the EPL. That is his experience base and he is working intelligently by incorporating his network and his known environment. As time goes on his experience and scope will broaden as his interrelations do.  From a strictly managerial birdseye I can start to see his m.o. and I  agree with it.

Caixinha attempted to reinvent the wheel by incorporating players and tactics which were entirely foreign to a majority 'Scottish' trained squad. He failed because his tactics and techniques were incongruent with his talent base AT his price point. If you examine Gerrard's acquisitions and targets, these are either players who are intimate with the Scottish game or have the physical and mental attributes to adjust to it while meeting stringent cost restrictions. 

This is logical human resourcing.

3 hours ago, craig said:

We will most definitely have to agree to disagree if you think that it made sense to be paying Ian Black 8k a week to play in the 4th tier of Scottish football

You got that from what I said? Paying Ian Black 8k is the opposite of what I was describing. I mentioned Alves and Barton because the short term approach (in general) has persisted all the way from the 3rd division to last season. I think and hope we’ve turned a corner now. 

We’re on the same page with this stuff, I think it’s just misinterpretation. 

RANGERS have completed a loan deal for Liverpool midfielder Ovie Ejaria.

SportTimes can reveal the 20-year-old has agreed a season-long switch to Ibrox to be reunited with former Reds coach Steven Gerrard.

Ejaria spent the second half of last term on loan at Sunderland and has now made the switch to Glasgow to gain more first team experience.

The Englishman is Gerrard's fourth signing of the summer so far and is set to be followed into Ibrox by defender Connor Goldson after Rangers agreed a £3million fee with Brighton on Wednesday.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rangers/16274133.Rangers_clinch_loan_deal_for_Liverpool_midfielder_Ovie_Ejaria/