The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

Very excited about gettting Goldson for £2.75m. Gerrard is spending the money where we need it spent. 

Barker would be a great option to have on the bench. But I’d had my hopes built up with the talk of Harry Wilson. Wilson walks into the first team but Barker doesn’t. However if we could get him on a permanent deal worth less than 400k he might be worth signing. 

2 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Very excited about gettting Goldson for £2.75m. Gerrard is spending the money where we need it spent. 

Barker would be a great option to have on the bench. But I’d had my hopes built up with the talk of Harry Wilson. Wilson walks into the first team but Barker doesn’t. However if we could get him on a permanent deal worth less than 400k he might be worth signing. 

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

We shouldn't be buying players "to have on the bench"....I would like every player that we have to be of "starting 11" quality.  It's then down to the individual players to battle it out for a starting sport.

There has to be a confidence throughout the squad that any player can step into the starting 11 & perform for a full 90mins.

31 minutes ago, Darthter said:

We shouldn't be buying players "to have on the bench"....I would like every player that we have to be of "starting 11" quality.  It's then down to the individual players to battle it out for a starting sport.

There has to be a confidence throughout the squad that any player can step into the starting 11 & perform for a full 90mins.

I agree with you. But I think Barker fits that profile, he’s 21 and has the potential or become a starting player soon. The ideal player to have on the bench imo because players like that aren’t on the wages of your Herreras and your Millers. 

However I think we need quality not quantity so I’m not sure I’d be spending money on anyone who won’t start. 

I'm not sure on what wages the youths / u23s from the likes of Liverpool, ManC and Co. are on. But I wouldn't be surprised that the better ones will have wage packages that will put tears in the eyes of most of our players ...

BTW, that Sun article up there is click-bait, as the coach reckons "his career is on the way up", rather than the lad is on "his way up north ..."

Edited by der Berliner

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

However I think we need quality not quantity so I’m not sure I’d be spending money on anyone who won’t start.

So we only spend money on starters well I see that we will only have 11 players then and no subs,we have to spend money on a squad if we are not just filling the subs with made up numbers.

Still I feel we have enough coming through to utilise if we must.

50 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

I'm not sure on what wages the youths / u23s from the likes of Liverpool, ManC and Co. are on. But I wouldn't be surprised that the better ones will have wage packages that will put tears in the eyes of most of our players ...

BTW, that Sun article up there is click-bait, as the coach reckons "his career is on the way up", rather than the lad is on "his way up north ..."

Billy Gilmour will be getting 22k a week next season at Chelsea, at 17 yrs old.

Zelalem was on 19k a week at Arsenal at age 19, despite having had about 3 or 4 games for the 1st team.

Even for mediocre youth players (not saying either of the above 2 are - Gilmour, IMO, could very well be world class in time) the salaries down south are eye-watering.

2 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

So we only spend money on starters well I see that we will only have 11 players then and no subs,we have to spend money on a squad if we are not just filling the subs with made up numbers.

Still I feel we have enough coming through to utilise if we must.

I think the point was that we want to be signing every single player as a starter - in other words, someone that will consider themselves a starter.  Better to have 22 players who are of "starting quality" than 11 starters and the remainder being squad fillers, guys you hope you never have to rely on.

However, the sad reality for us is that our financial position means we need to spend what we have on starters, and then hope that the squad fillers are either not needed or do well enough when called upon.  We don't have the financial strength to have 22 players of starting quality.

4 minutes ago, craig said:

I think the point was that we want to be signing every single player as a starter - in other words, someone that will consider themselves a starter.  Better to have 22 players who are of "starting quality" than 11 starters and the remainder being squad fillers, guys you hope you never have to rely on.

However, the sad reality for us is that our financial position means we need to spend what we have on starters, and then hope that the squad fillers are either not needed or do well enough when called upon.  We don't have the financial strength to have 22 players of starting quality.

Exactly...we already have plenty "shirt fillers"...no need to bring more in.  Any new players should be of a Starting 11 level and an improvement on the current squad players.