The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

13 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Shrewsbury seems to want Alnwick and is willing to pay 250k ... according to some rumours.

Take the money and run (aswell as selling Foderingham) and let McCrorie be McGregors understudy.

I think we paid around £250K for Alnwick and it's difficult to expect more when he's not really featured.

When he has played he looked half-decent to me though but there's no point in having McGregor, Fod, Alnwick, Kelly and McCrorie all vying for effectively two positions.  We only really need two - three at a push.

1 minute ago, Frankie said:

I think we paid around £250K for Alnwick and it's difficult to expect more when he's not really featured.

When he has played he looked half-decent to me though but there's no point in having McGregor, Fod, Alnwick, Kelly and McCrorie all vying for effectively two positions.  We only really need two - three at a push.

You were/are a keeper,...who'd you pick ?

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Take the money and run (aswell as selling Foderingham) and let McCrorie be McGregors understudy.

I agree. I hate the idea of a 27 year old on big wages on the bench “just in case” and I don’t buy the idea that “you need competition”. It’s just a waste of money that we can’t afford. Sell Foderingham while his value is high because a season on the bench will majorly deplete it. Give McCrorie the chance to be in a match day squad and step in when and if needed like his brother who excelled when his chance came. 

Edited by DMAA

7 minutes ago, buster. said:

You were/are a keeper,...who'd you pick ?

Are?  :D:D

I've not seen enough of the latter two to judge but given Kelly has been unable to force his way in (and is only two years younger than Jak) then McCrorie should be preferred as backup (along with the likes of McAdams who is a wee bit younger).

That leaves first choice and deputy.  I like Fod a lot but he's not without his faults and it's difficult to say we missed him towards the end of the season when he was injured.  Alnwick seems to have more of a presence but but I'm not sure how strong a character he is.

Ergo, McGregor is arguably first choice given his experience and overall proven quality.  After that it's just a case of deciding if we need a deputy and backup or just the deputy.  I'd be inclined to say just the deputy (so McGregor and McCrorie) but an unexpected injury could leave us short so I can see why many managers prefer two guys vying it out - I just can't see Fod staying for that fight but you never know.

12 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Kelly is off to Livingston.

4 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Are?  :D:D

I've not seen enough of the latter two to judge but given Kelly has been unable to force his way in (and is only two years younger than Jak) then McCrorie should be preferred as backup (along with the likes of McAdams who is a wee bit younger).

That leaves first choice and deputy.  I like Fod a lot but he's not without his faults and it's difficult to say we missed him towards the end of the season when he was injured.  Alnwick seems to have more of a presence but but I'm not sure how strong a character he is.

Ergo, McGregor is arguably first choice given his experience and overall proven quality.  After that it's just a case of deciding if we need a deputy and backup or just the deputy.  I'd be inclined to say just the deputy (so McGregor and McCrorie) but an unexpected injury could leave us short so I can see why many managers prefer two guys vying it out - I just can't see Fod staying for that fight but you never know.

Some might argue that instead of being on the bench, it might be better for McCrorie to go out on loan to get more first team football,....but at a better level than the fourth tier.

Thinking back to McGregor, I think he went on loan to Dunfermline and St.Johnstone when he was 22-24 years old.

McCrorie was 20 in March.