The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

Rumours that Herrera is off to some Mexican team, as yet unconfirmed.

Regarding Lafferty, as of now (and the window has 7 weeks to run), we have but one striker who is a certain starter, i.e. Morelos. Given that SG has said he likes him very much, it seems unlikely that he is moving on now, unless we see someone throw Soton-like money after us later in the window.

Sadiq is an unknown quantity, but not much younger than Morelos. Windass (should he be there) could still go as shadow striker. Hardie is offski for a season.

Over the course of the season, that's still not many ... and hardly "experienced folk". With Lafferty, you know what you will get. He may not score 25 goals ("only" 19 in 45 games last season for Hearts), but he won't be pummelled about by Premiership defenders, is keeping them busy, has hardly lost and speed and can lash in goals from all angles. Nigh 70 games for Northern Ireland also gives him a bit more of international experience than probably half of our current squad put together.
He knows the demands of Ibrox and can cope with that.

In short, a low-key back up (sic!) striker for the season that you can pair with similarly Scottish-game experienced chaps like Cummings who will run themselves into the ground for us while Morelos et al can get a rest ... why not? We obviously could trial Solanke or get folk like Garner, Waghorn, or that Peterborough chap in ... who may or may not succeed. But as we all know, "may or may not" is not something the Rangers support wants to see or experience.

Edited by der Berliner

A rested, fit, interested  and improving Alfredo Morelos would be a very decent first choice centre-forward.

As Frankie touched on in the podcast,....unless on loan, I don't think we have the money to go out and buy a ready made, goalscoring centre-forward from a decent level. Even the decent bosmans will be hoovered up by the clubs with more cash.

Solanke on loan has been mentioned but I have my doubts he'd come to Scotland to a club who may well already be out of Europe.

If he's going to stay, I reckon it'd be much better to go with Morelos and further develop his obvious potential for our advantage, rather than a loan striker for his parent club.

We'd still need others but it's down to the scouting dept./DoF to find the preverbial value for money rough edged diamonds.

I

Edited by buster.

The decent enough for the back-ups that won't break the bank and will do a job for us at national level (for starters) would be Cummings and Lafferty. They know the game, they know what is required and would break their necks for us. I'm all for "better" talent and extraordinary-elsewhere up-and-coming stars, but those two would ease my proverbial "fears" for a long and strenuous Scottish league season.

Edited by der Berliner

14 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

The decent enough for the back-ups that won't break the bank and will do a job for us at national level (for starters) would be Cummings and Lafferty. They know the game, they know what is required and would break their necks for us. I'm all for "better" talent and extraordinary-elsewhere up-and-coming stars, but those two would ease my proverbial "fears" for a long and strenuous Scottish league season.

and the added plus of annoying celtic, hibs & hearts by signing them :D

38 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Fair comment although I think if Sadiq joins then given similarities, he takes the Lafferty type role. 

FWIW, I think Lafferty is perhaps the back-up option if the Sadiq transfer doesn't go through.  They're fairly similar in style and would provide decent options in the short term.

However, as touched on in the pod, I'd like to think we'll sign another striker later in the window and it will be interesting to see if we keep Morelos.