The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

11 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Transfermrkt have him down as more of a central midfield player, so more box-to-box rather than DM -- although he has played there.

He was still a youngster at Bastia in Ligue 1, playing now and again while still remaining important, until they were relegated, which was when Angers signed him as they were promoted to Ligue 1. 

Clearly he's a Ligue 1 quality midfielder. 

I would expect an all-round midfield player with good energy and physique, perhaps lacking in specific quality. 

It comes down to the questions

Is he significantly better than what we have already ?

Would there be an option to make it permanent ?

--------------

I think we have to first and foremost develop and add value to our own players.

The loan system is good if you use it well, ie. bring in real quality that is significantly better than what we have at home.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

It comes down to the questions

Is he significantly better than what we have already ?

Would there be an option to make it permanent ?

--------------

I think we have to first and foremost develop and add value to our own players.

The loan system is good if you use it well, ie. bring in real quality that is significantly better than what we have at home.

I don't know the answers. 

I was just outlining what I thought, looking at his stats and what I know from the league.

The only question I ask is: Can he do a job for us? I think he could do. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

I don't know the answers. 

I was just outlining what I thought, looking at his stats and what I know from the league.

The only question I ask is: Can he do a job for us? I think he could do. 

We need to have a recruitment policy that makes sense at various levels or we won't move forward as a club.

We need to build, rather than the annual chuck it in the bin and start again.

What we have been doing in recent years is the road to nowhere other than financial problems.

That Killie chap Mulumbu was hailed for his performances vs us and the Scum, people were actually asking whether he could do a job for us there ... given how we "weak" we were in that area. Coulibaly looks like a Mulumbu-style player, just 8 years younger. 10 caps for Mali, 20odd games in Ligue 1 last and 30odd the season before.

He did cost 1.8m last summer and has got a contract till 2021, but it seemingly did not work out at Angers. If he comes and plays well, I doubt he'd cost more than 1m next summer.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lassana-coulibaly/profil/spieler/386552

BTW, people moan and groan about the loanees. Do keep in mind that as of now, we have but one loanee (EJaria) and even if Coulibaly and Saqi join up, it would only be three.

30 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

That Killie chap Mulumbu was hailed for his performances vs us and the Scum, people were actually asking whether he could do a job for us there ... given how we "weak" we were in that area. Coulibaly looks like a Mulumbu-style player, just 8 years younger. 10 caps for Mali, 20odd games in Ligue 1 last and 30odd the season before.

He did cost 1.8m last summer and has got a contract till 2021, but it seemingly did not work out at Angers. If he comes and plays well, I doubt he'd cost more than 1m next summer.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lassana-coulibaly/profil/spieler/386552

BTW, people moan and groan about the loanees. Do keep in mind that as of now, we have but one loanee (EJaria) and even if Coulibaly and Saqi join up, it would only be three.

I say....go down the Jamie Murphy route - 1 year loan, with an agreed price to buy at the end of it.  Try before you buy....

I'm now fully expecting Windass to be leaving shortly.  He has just liked his dad's comment about the 3m release clause.  I don't know what game he's playing but the guy is an idiot.  I know he's our player, but let's face it, he is a liability and we'd be better off without him.  He seems to have no appreciation for the consequences of using social media for some of his messages and responses.  If we get 3m or more for him, I'd take it.

As for loans, I think they're a brilliant way for us to test out players.  Imagine we had forked out millions on the recent loans, rather than just paying their salaries.  Only Murphy has worked out, and because of that we bought him.  That seems like great business to me.  Yes, there's a risk of a player turning out to be brilliant and him returning to his club.  I'd rather have excellent players leaving us, than flops staying with us.  The loan market works, and for us it's got to be part of our future.

39 minutes ago, buster. said:

We need to have a recruitment policy that makes sense at various levels or we won't move forward as a club.

We need to build, rather than the annual chuck it in the bin and start again.

What we have been doing in recent years is the road to nowhere other than financial problems.

Absolutely. 

I think we're seeing that with the DoF. It's still just the beginning.

The loans don't bother me. I'm happy with the business so far, sorting out the defence was the main priority. he has also made a good acquisition in Arfield. These young guys will fill out the squad and provide different options and should be enough to at least see us through a couple of rounds of the Europa league. Our hands might be tied until the English teams come back and the decide who they want and don't want in their squads, I would imagine if we do manage to qualify for the Europa league we will be able to attract a higher quality of player as well

Like most things, the loan system is a big positive if it is used well.

But you can't look at it in isolation.

Recruitment as a whole has to be considered, along with player development, contract management, finance, etc.

This is where Mark Allen has to earn his corn but it also has to fit with how the first team management team see things....which will mean compromise.

4 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Absolutely. 

I think we're seeing that with the DoF. It's still just the beginning.

It's a difficult remit in that he obviously knows we need to build but timescales will bring pressure to do it very quickly.

For me, we need to get this right and start to build something now that will be given a reasonable amount of time to take root, grow and hpefully, bear fruit. I don't think it's viable or sustainable to do otherwise.