The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

Just now, lenny3k said:

For me, this signing is a young player that they want to have a look at with a view to potentially signing in 12 months time if they see promise. He won't be a starter, but he may have potential to eventually become one, which if he does, we will sign him

I would imagine Sadiq would be in this bracket as well

2 minutes ago, Dave M609 said:

I would imagine Sadiq would be in this bracket as well

I think so... I also think we are waiting until the transfer window down south shuts as then we will know what players are available, to get another striker in that will be more of a 'first choice' striker, if you know what i mean?

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

You can never have too many midfielders. :D 

I don't think there are too many, when we break it down, assuming it's a 4-3-3.

#6/DM: McCrorie, Rossiter

#8s: Jack, Docherty, Arfield, Coulibaly

#10s: Ejaria, (Windass?) (Both these guys could/will play in the front line too).

Crocked: Dorrans (could play any of the above positions).

Probably Off: Halliday

Rossiter will be injured too, so we have 1 DM, with Jack, Coulibaly coming in when needed. Docherty and Arfield can play #10 too. 

I think we have good options, covering multiple roles. We can go more defensive when needed, using a midfield trio of McCrorie, Jack/Coulibaly, Arfield, or more offensive with McCrorie, Arfield, Docherty/Ejaria.

If going 4-3-3 and one of the midfield 3 is a "10" then you effectively have 8 players for 3 positions, 10 when Dorrans and Rossiter are fit - that is too many IMO.  Options are great, but we need (could still happen admittedly) more striking options.

The 3 up front right now would, effectively, be Morelos (or Sadiq), Candeias and Murphy - the only back up would be Middleton (untested at that level) and maybe Ejaria - because Windass is ineffective when playing wide.

I think we look much, much stronger in midfield now - but we need forward and creative options.  It does appear that Gerrard/Allen have gone down the route of trying to make us a team whereby the mantra of "if you don't lose goals you don't lose games" and that actually makes sense, particularly when we were the leagues top scorers last season.... if you can continue that whilst being tighter defensively then you have to think you give yourself a good chance.

But I just cant help but think that we need more forward options - we badly need a natural scorer - someone like a McCoist or, dare I say it, a Boyd - someone who instinctively knows where the net is and finds it - Morelos, despite his goals, is not that guy.

4 hours ago, DMAA said:

Coulibaly is an intriguing one. Another one we’d presumably be hoping to sign in 12 months who has high potential, but isn’t it a pretty big worry that he barely featured for a side who very narrowly escaped relegation in Ligue 1 last season?

Ligue 1 teams are far, far better than SPFL teams.  Riyad Mahrez was a Ligue 2 player......

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

According to Whoscored he played 9 full games’ worth of minutes across the whole season and they finished 4 points above the relegation zone. Not very encouraging at all. The two players who started ahead of him have had very non-descript careers. 

From youtube he appears fast, strong, aggressive and good at tackling but his technique and end product leaving a lot to be desired. Could be he’s intended only to strengthen the bench as it’s hard to see how he leapfrogs Arfield, McCrorie, Jack etc. 

I can't comment on his quality, as I've never seen him play. I should check out some of those videos. 

He was a promising youngster, signed by a newly promoted Ligue 1 side, so I wouldn't have expected him to be playing lots at that level, at that age. 

(They were actually 12th with 10 games to go, so I don't think they were in danger. It's irrelevant anyway, IMO.)

I don't think it's worrying. I think the player profile is encouraging. I doubt he'd be in our league if he was playing every week for a mid-table Ligue 1 side.