The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

Narry a dog whistle here, just a clarion blast.

He'll get on well with Andy Halliday, I imagine. 

"It's massive for me personally; my family support the Club, and me, myself, as well. 

The street I was born on, the kerbs are painted red, white, and blue, so to get the opportunity to play for this famous Club is amazing.

I'm delighted to be here.  I feel very honoured to be here, and privileged as well."

Edited by Uilleam

Just read an article with this title. "Could Glasgow Rangers striker Alfredo Morelos' comments become worrrying in future years?" http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/09/04/could-glasgow-rangers-striker-alfredo-morelos-comments-become-wo/

It's mildly critical of him saying that he wants to play in the premier league and that it should be a concern that he openly says such things but in my view I don't see why he shouldn't have such aspirations. Who wouldn't given the fabulous wealth on offer?

He came from a background of extreme poverty and I would suspect that he's supporting his family right now.

ALREDO MORELOS’ first club has revealed the Rangers idol was so poor they had to pay for his kit and boots.

The Colombian striker has been a sensation since arriving at Gers from Finns HJK Helsinki last summer, scoring 16 goals in 31 games.

Morelos is now well paid, with prospects of a big-money move to an English or Chinese club.

But Vicente Fernandez, who coached Morelos as a child prodigy, said the striker then lived in desperate poverty.

The 21-year-old joined the Fumigadores academy in his home town Cerete aged five.

His dad Alfredo Sr sold fruit from a barrow in the town centre, while he stayed at home with mum Martha in the crime-plagued Botaven district.

Morelos started out as a midfielder, playing on Fumigadores’ dusty pitch – where the metal-framed goalposts were hung with torn nets.

However his pace and shooting power prompted Fernandez to move him into attack.

The coach recalled: “Alfredo’s family was very poor. At times they didn’t have enough money to pay for him to play in tournaments, or to buy his kit.

“But he was such a good player, and we believed so strongly that he would go on to make it as a professional.

“So we paid the bills for his boots, shinpads, shirts, shorts and socks.”

Morelos went on to shine for the Cordoba regional team before making his senior debut with Independiente Medellin.

Cordoba coach Misael Avila said: “Alfredo was a born leader. He always stood up to be counted, even in the toughest games.

“We told him that he was our best player and that we relied on his goals. He did not let us down.

“We suspended him aged 14 when he went for trials with Independiente without our permission.

“But the team missed him so much the players pleaded for him to be allowed back.

“In the end he didn’t go to Medellin, but continued scoring goals for us. We got into the habit of winning.

“We beat Atlantico, Bolivar, Magdalena and all the other teams we came up against – all thanks to Morelos.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2271524/rangers-alfredo-morelos-poverty-first-club/

He has every right to harbour such dreams of fabulous wealth. He just signed a contract keeping him with us till 2022. If he can keep providing the goals we can now easily keep him for another 2 years before cashing in big time. That's enough of a payback for me before he moves on to secure the future of his family.    

... I would assume his story is one of many of the "nowadays" superstars from South America ... many imported via the Portuguese route. He is obviously right to have aspirations to play in the top leagues, and the money they bring is sure a welcome bonus. Whether that money ever reaches his family, relatives, former poor clubs et al remains to be seen. Even now, he earns much more than he would have dreamed of 3 years ago.

IMHO, we saw the interest in him during the last two windows and the future exposure of his talents in Europe may even increase that. Thus, while we sure like to keep a top striker, making him sign a long term deal will add quite a few million on any future attempt of luring him to France or England.

Really excited about this one. We still have others to get up to speed and combined with them he may be instrumental in making our attack as efficient as the defence. Apparently he is in the Albania squad playing Scotland on Monday night.

Poor old Osijek, first we dump them out of the EL then start picking off their best players. But that's life in football.

And this Albanian coach needs to learn it doesn't get much bigger than Rangers. Granted there are bigger leagues if that's what he actually means.

Glasgow Rangers sign “World Class” player

Albania coach Alban Bushi believes “World Class” Eros Grezda should have signed for a bigger club than Glasgow Rangers.

The top rated winger moved to Ibrox from Croatian side Osijek just before transfer deadline in a £2 million move.

Grezda is in the Albanian squad for Monday’s Nations League showdown with Scotland at Hampden.

The top rated winger moved to Ibrox from Croatian side Osijek just before transfer deadline in a £2 million move.

Grezda is in the Albanian squad for Monday’s Nations League showdown with Scotland at Hampden.

“When you look at just how talented Grezda is, we all expected him to move to a bigger stage than Rangers. He’s a player who can be world class,” the Express quote Bushi as saying.

“But I am sure he will be able to quickly prove himself at Rangers and knowing his qualities, he will make a big impact. He deserves a big transfer and I think he will do well in Scotland.

“He is a very important player for Albania and when he plays well, we tend to do well. Eros has worked very hard and I wish him luck.”

Steven Gerrard noted that Grezda was the main danger man whilst watching Croatian side Osijek, Rangers opponents in the second qualifying round of the Europa League.

Fortunately for Gerrard’s men, Grezda hadn’t recovered quickly enough from an injury to face the ‘Gers in either tie.

Once Borna Barisic joined the Light Blues, Gerrard grilled him for further evidence on whether he should bring him to Glasgow – the answer was a resounding yes.

Barisic couldn’t praise him enough, and vouched for his versatility, ability, speed and character.

Bushi’s belief that Grezda is destined for greater teams, will enable Rangers to showcase his undoubted talent in the current Europa group stages.

Once Grezda has proved himself, the benefit to the Ibrox club will manifest itself in the financial interest of the big guns.

If Eros Grezda proves Albanian coach Bushi correct, with his prediction that he will become “World Class”, then Gerrard’s signing is a masterstroke.

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/glasgow-rangers-sign-world-class-player/

There’s no doubt we now have younger players such as Morelos, Katic etc  who will move on & bring us in decent transfer fees (hopefully) to allow us to then replace them & the process starts again.

Whilst we remain in Scottish football the lack of money, sponsorship etc leaves us no option to operate this way. We don’t get the likes of  £100m plus per season from TV deals 

Edited by RANGERRAB

On 03/09/2018 at 14:29, Uilleam said:

A boyhood fan. 

Why are we getting him at age 38, rather than at 16/17/18, or younger?

it's always been the same, we consistently miss out on players who would walk to Ibrox. Think Charlie Cooke, Andy Gray, John Wark, and weep. There are bucketloads more. 

Christ, we've had to buy Lafferty twice!!

Bobby Hope if anyone remembers him.

2 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Bobby Hope if anyone remembers him.

I remember being around ten and football cards with bubblegum being all the rage, you tossed the gum for the card. I was waiting on West Brom's Bobby Hope for weeks, and then a lad returned from visiting his Aunt in Basildon, he had half-a-dozen Bobby Hope doublers. Often, I wondered what became of those much sought after cards?