The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

18 minutes ago, Darthter said:

based on what I've seen....I wouldn't pursue Cummings - not been overly impressed with his contribution over all.  I can see him continuing to be as bit-player & don't rate him as much of a threat as Morelos is to opposition defenses.

Thing is, we hardly played a system that utilizes his or Morelos' strengths. He was AFAIK never before used as a lone striker and only in the second half of the Aberdeen game, he and Morelos plus Candeias and Murphy showed glimpses of understanding and linking up. It is utterly beyond me how we wasted three or four months with a system that reaped no rewards agains the packed defences of the Premiership.

As opposed to Windass, Cummings was running himself into ground chasing opponents, trying to get into decent positions and harrassing defenders. Exactly the type of lad we need for the bread and butter games of the Premiership. Given the amount of injuries we accumulate over a season and at 600k, he'd be a steal.

Edited by der Berliner

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think Alfredo Morelos is a very lucky young man. He seems to have the ability to turn in poor performances and routinely miss sitters in front of goal, while still attracting support and excuses from the stands. How is it Morelos is a threat to opposition defences while failing to score. If his name was Andy Halliday he would be getting hounded. Funny how that works.

I think Alfredo Morelos is a very good young player. He continues to get in good goal-scoring situations, works his socks off, holding up play, running in-behind, giving defences something to think about constantly, while still attracting criticism from the stands. If his name was Andy Halliday he would be getting more time. Funny how that works.  

:D 

7 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think Alfredo Morelos is a very good young player. He continues to get in good goal-scoring situations, works his socks off, holding up play, running in-behind, giving defences something to think about constantly, while still attracting criticism from the stands. If his name was Andy Halliday he would be getting more time. Funny how that works.  

:D 

Touché xD However, he's paid to score goals, not just get in a position to do so. Some of his efforts recently have been eyewateringly inept. We can't win the games we'll need to win next season on potential alone.

Just now, Bill said:

Touché xD However, he's paid to score goals, not just get in a position to do so. Some of his efforts recently have been eyewateringly inept. We can't win the games we'll need to win next season on potential alone.

I'd be more worried if he wan't getting into those situations. 

Now, snatched up a rumour from FF, which says that there's a team from North of the border interested in Peterborough United striker Jack Marriott. Was first thought to be them, but it looks it is actually us.

Now, can't say much about the guy but ... contract till 2021, "valued" by their manager at 5m, aged 23 and has scored 33 goals and assisted another 5 in 56 games this season.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jack-marriott/profil/spieler/268746

Also on STV rumours now:

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1414641-football-talk-rangers-striker-moves-celtic-s-light-show/

Edited by der Berliner

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think Alfredo Morelos is a very lucky young man. He seems to have the ability to turn in poor performances and routinely miss sitters in front of goal, while still attracting support and excuses from the stands. How is it Morelos is a threat to opposition defences while failing to score. If his name was Andy Halliday he would be getting hounded. Funny how that works.

Morelos is a threat to opposition defense due to his tenacity & work rate - he is constantly running at them, around them & getting in their faces.....he is a right royal thorn in their sides.

Cummings on the other hand (from what I've seen) tends to drift further back than Freddo ever does, thus giving defenders a break.  He does a lot of running about, without achieving much, similar in many ways to Kenny Miller.  Smart defenders pick up on this & give up chasing him.

While Freddo has missed a fair few chances, but he's still slipping his marker(s) constantly in order to get into those positions - if you're not in the positions, you can NEVER score chances.  That's why he's a threat.

20 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Cummings is only 22. We keep saying we want young players with value, yet any player that doesn't perform now we're looking to get them off the books. 

He's not a bad player now, and he'll only get better; and will look better in a better set-up. 

I'd take Cummings on a permanent deal.

Do you expect him to get enough game time to improve to the point that he's a multi-million pound player???

While he's only 22, he has made 184 pro appearances, so he's not inexperienced, scoring 81 goals in that time, which is decent, but not outstanding.

Freddo is 21, made 130 appearances, with 70 goals.....stats which make him a better prospect than Cummings IMHO.

I don't see much future sell-on value in Cummings.  I think he could do a decent job for us, but I'd be looking for better.

8 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Do you expect him to get enough game time to improve to the point that he's a multi-million pound player???

While he's only 22, he has made 184 pro appearances, so he's not inexperienced, scoring 81 goals in that time, which is decent, but not outstanding.

Freddo is 21, made 130 appearances, with 70 goals.....stats which make him a better prospect than Cummings IMHO.

I don't see much future sell-on value in Cummings.  I think he could do a decent job for us, but I'd be looking for better.

The stats don't tell you about potential, just what he's done. 

Should we just be selling players because they've not been outstanding now?  

Of course there is a sell-on value. He's 22. He will get better. I don't understand your logic? 'He's not been great now, so he won't ever be?' Players don't need to be playing every minute of every game to improve; just play a part, and perhaps be brought into a better system. He came on against Aberdeen, changing the game for us. 

41 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Now, snatched up a rumour from FF, which says that there's a team from North of the border interested in Peterborough United striker Jack Marriott. Was first thought to be them, but it looks it is actually us.

Now, can't say much about the guy but ... contract till 2021, "valued" by their manager at 5m, aged 23 and has scored 33 goals and assisted another 5 in 56 games this season.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jack-marriott/profil/spieler/268746

Also on STV rumours now:

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1414641-football-talk-rangers-striker-moves-celtic-s-light-show/