The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

From what I have read in this thread about this lad Flanagan, a 25 year old full back who hasnt established himself anywhere yet, is injury prone, and has been found guilty of assaulting his partner, I surely am not the only one who would want absolutely nothing to do with him.

For assaulting a woman alone, he should never be allowed to sign for our club. For all we talk about our proud history and tradition, we must surely avoid signing players with a criminal record of this kind. Bill Struth will be turning in his grave at the very thought of signing someone like this.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I take it you haven't seen much of Flanagan?

He's a Premiership quality full-back.

I know him very well. I think "Premiership quality full-back" is a bit of a stretch: He played in the PL 5/6 years ago as a 19 year-old, when Liverpool had numerous injuries. He was last playing for Bolton, sporadically, as they were nearly relegated. 

That doesn't mean I don't think he'd be a good signing. In terms of quality, yes. His off-field problems concern me; I'm not sure I want anything to do with him.

50 minutes ago, Dragosani said:

Well Gascoinge played for us and he had history!

The abuse of his wife occurred after we signed him.

However, I'm against the Flanagan signing for various reasons, including his conviction.  Nobody is perfect but let's minimise risk.

For the unknowing ... I checked Google who threw this Liverpoo Echo article at me. Looks very much like an isolated incident of drunken amn to me, not your average woman-beater ...

Liverpool defender Jon Flanagan threw girlfriend into wall and kicked her on the floor

Flanagan, 25, was handed a 12 month community order after admitting the drunken assault

Liverpool FC defender Jon Flanagan threw his girlfriend into a wall before kicking her on the floor, a court was told.

The 25-year-old full-back had admitted assaulting his partner of around 18 months, Rachael Wall, after a drunken row on Duke Street, Liverpool City Centre, in the early hours of December 22.

Flanagan, of Knowsley Road in Aigburth, was ordered to complete 40 hours unpaid work and attend 15 rehabilitation activity days with the Probation Service at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court today, as part of a 12 month community order.

District Judge Wendy Lloyd, passing sentence, told Flanagan: “You are a relatively young man with no previous convictions and it is therefore sad that you find yourself here today due to your behaviour.

“This is an unpleasant episode...as we have discussed at the previous hearing this was not just a single act in that few minutes it was a matter of this lady going to the floor twice and you used your foot on her on one occasion.

“You claim to have no memory of this incident which does suggest you were very drunk indeed.”

Alan Currums, prosecuting, said Ms Wall had refused to give a statement but police had been alerted by a witness, watching from a balcony overlooking Duke Street, at around 3.30am.

The offence was captured on CCTV cameras from Italian restaurant Il Forno, and played in court today despite the protestations of Flanagan’s solicitor, Lionel Greig.

The footage showed Ms Wall walking ahead of Flanagan, who positions himself in front of her.

When Ms Wall tries to get past him, Flanagan appears to grab her by the throat and shoves her into a wall – causing her to stumble.

Ms Wall could be seen picking up her handbag and trying to walk away but Flanagan again grabs her and shoves her into the wall a second time, causing her to drop to the floor.

As she lies prone Flanagan delivers a kick to her body, before she gets up and the pair walk out of shot.

Mr Currums said before the incident the witness heard Ms Wall shout: “You are out of order” to which Flanagan replied: “Shut up I will f****** knock you out.”

Mr Greig told the court that £28,000 per week Flanagan had no previous convictions and was still in a relationship with Ms Wall, who has two young children.

He said: “This is something he is not proud of and something he has received negative press intrusion in relation to…

“He deeply regrets his behaviour and there is genuine remorse for this.”

Mr Greig said the pair are now “working very hard at their relationship” and are looking to move forward together.

Mr Greig also suggested: “Hopefully his employers can give him support and advice to help deal with the issues raised on that night.”

Liverpool FC have indicated a statement will be issued shortly.

Flanagan, who appeared in court wearing a black suit, dark blue tie and white shirt, was asked to attend the Probation Service offices before leaving the building.

Academy graduate Flanagan broke through to Liverpool’s first team in the 2010/11 season.

His only appearance this season has been in the Carabao Cup defeat at Leicester City.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-defender-jon-flanagan-threw-14166799

McAllisters said that he undergoing a medical now.

Is he good enough to start for us? I'd say yes. He's versatile too, being able to play both sides. In footballing terms, it's a good move.

The question is whether his off-field issues overshadow this. I don't know.