The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

34 minutes ago, stewarty said:

If we do, we need to address his issues head on.  And if the lad has sense, he will be able to demonstrate his remorse.  But even then, he may never be allowed to move on.

He has served his sentence.  What benefit would Rangers addressing his past midemeanour bring?  He has already showed remorse.

The Timmy press will be keen to rake it up.  If we sign him, we'd be better off ignoring it and supporting him as one of our players.

34 minutes ago, stewarty said:

I'm uneasy about this one.  I'd rather we didn't sign him.

If we do, we need to address his issues head on.  And if the lad has sense, he will be able to demonstrate his remorse.  But even then, he may never be allowed to move on.

It looks as if it's going ahead pending the medical. I don't know if it's fair to say he has issues. He's not some serial offender aka Joey Barton. He got involved in one drunken incident and took responsibility for it.

And we have the bonus of Gerrard knowing him very well and given he's a born scouser and a lifelong Liverpool fan it's likely he grew up hero worshiping Gerrard and wont want to let him down.  

One more little snippet I found regarding the incident.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is said to have accepted that Flanagan’s actions were a totally isolated incident and utterly out of character.

I won't be too worried if he signs, I don't think for a minute SG would sign him if he has issue, the press can make a big deal of it if they want, could be worse! he could be a convicted racist!

A Liverpool take on this transfer:

"Flanagan looks miles off the player that broke into the Liverpool first team back in the 2013/14 season and a fresh move now seems like the right thing for his career. The right-back has lost his way a bit since a long-term injury and has not really rediscovered his best touch out on loan. He looks set to become the latest player to join the Steven Gerrard era in Scotland and there is every chance he could be a success for them. Meanwhile, it is good to see Reds manager Jurgen Klopp offloading the deadwood in his squad this summer... "

live4liverpool.com

5 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

I won't be too worried if he signs, I don't think for a minute SG would sign him if he has issue, the press can make a big deal of it if they want, could be worse! he could be a convicted racist!

Yeah, but apart from the reprehensible nature of his offence (young athlete attacks gf, ffs), the fact that, apparently, he was drunk, his ostensible injury problems, his failure to meet early expectations, and the effect of the Glasgow goldfish bowl and Scottish fish tank, I do not want the Manager/Coaches having to micromanage any player next season.

Everybody deserves a 2nd chance, but should that chance be taken by us? 

Mind you, if he puts Brown into the cinders........

5 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

Is Flanagan another Barton? Another Pena? Are we taking a chance we really don’t need to take? An inexperienced manager making a wrong decision?

I'll arrange a session with my local soothsayer and check out what the bones will make of this, okay?

8 minutes ago, BEARGER said:

Is Flanagan another Barton? Another Pena? Are we taking a chance we really don’t need to take? An inexperienced manager making a wrong decision?

As has been mentioned Barton is a serial offender who has done jail time and has a brother serving life for racially motivated murder.

Flanagan was involved in a one of incident he immediately took responsibility for and which has been described by Klopp and others who know him well as totally out of character. Barton's escapades were totally in character.

I really don't think he's a liability due to this incident and seemingly neither does Gerrard who knows him a lot better than any of us ever will. And as far as i'm aware the girl involved is still with him.

Not impressed with this one tbh. He couldn’t make the Bolton team last season who avoided relegation by 2 points and conceded the 3rd most in the league. He often didn’t make the bench. What more is there to be said?