Steven Gerrard is the new Rangers manager

I'm clearly one of the few here that is not at all impressed that these Gerrard rumours have turned out to be true. A completely inexperienced youth coach trying to sort out the clusterf**k that is our current dressing room and squad. I thought we just tried that?

Our position called for an experienced manager with knowledge of the bitterness of the Scottish game and the people within it. Neither our new manager or his assistant give us anything like that.

Yes he is a well known name in football circles (a world star, really?) but only as a player. As a one club player he doesnt even have the experience of working at different clubs to get different perspectives. 

I am also absolutely flabbergasted at giving someone this big a gamble a 4 year deal. That is bordering on negligent from the board. How much does that cost us this time next year?

One positive I can find is that we may be able to use his Liverpool contacts to get some good young players up here, either on loan or permanent, and we can just hope they can have a better impact than Rossiter. 

I am hoping that the announcement should give the players a lift, now they know they have a manager to try to impress in the last 3 games.

What is wrong with getting right in amongst it right away and help us to win these 3 remaining games? Surely his influence in the dressing room, if not on the training ground, would help our deflated and confidence-sapped squad? Is he even going to be in attendance at our 3 games to see the squad for himself, or be sitting in a BT studio watching English stuff?

It is a massive gamble we didnt have to take, and all those who were saying they had little or no faith in this board to hire the right man look to be bang on again. The timing makes you think his name has only come up in the last couple of weeks, so what have our board been doing through the Murty disaster of the last 7 months? It is not as if SG has been in a similar role and it would have cost too much to get him in while our season still had a chance of recovery.

Come the start of the season I will be back paying my money and supporting the team. I hope to be inspired by the additions to the squad over the next 8 weeks or so before our vital European tie at the end of June (assuming we avoid disaster and not qualify at all of course!). I am sure he will talk a good game, but so did MW, PC & GM so that is the easy part in this game, it is all about getting the right players, formation, tactics, game management, substitutions, etc and I am absolutely praying to a god i dont believe in that this all comes off.

Just like the punter in the bookies who bemoans his luck all the time, surely one time one of these big gambles has to come off? Why not 2018-19 and the mother of all parties when we clinch the title?

28 minutes ago, craig said:

For the avoidance of doubt.... I do NOT think Torres will be at Rangers (but imagine the complete meltdown... by both Bears AND Tims if he DID actually come :D)

I'd imagine he'd sell a few shirts. Who knows, like Barton he's made his fortune and he won't be in it for money anymore. He might fancy playing in front of 50k for a year before heading for the states.

2 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I am sure he will talk a good game, but so did MW, PC & GM so that is the easy part in this game, it is all about getting the right players, formation, tactics, game management, substitutions, etc and I am absolutely praying to a god i dont believe in that this all comes off.

Just like the punter in the bookies who bemoans his luck all the time, surely one time one of these big gambles has to come off? Why not 2018-19 and the mother of all parties when we clinch the title?

I'm not so sure he'll bother trying to talk the same "good game" week in, week out.

I tend to think he'll be more bothered about winning games.

He didn't come accross as a great communicator but today it worked in his favour. What is more important is how he and his staff  communicate with the players outwith the scrutiney of cameras and tape recorders.

Forget about the league next season. Give him some leeway to build, learn, start to put a team together and improve on recent years. Aslong as he wins the league in his first 3 years, I'll be happy.