Decent article about Champions League run 1992-93

One goal away from the CL final and I'm fairly sure we'd have beaten Milan that season. Great memories. 

I went to the away games against Lyngby, CSKA and Bruges. Couldn't go to Leeds game for obvious reasons so watched the game in the Edmiston Club. Ended up dancing on the tables, drinking champagne. Great night. 

Didn't have the cash to go to Marseille, and it was probably the one to miss and it sounded like a bit of nightmare trip. 

Unbeaten in the CL. What a team we had that season. 

44 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

One goal away from the CL final and I'm fairly sure we'd have beaten Milan that season. Great memories. 

I went to the away games against Lyngby, CSKA and Bruges. Couldn't go to Leeds game for obvious reasons so watched the game in the Edmiston Club. Ended up dancing on the tables, drinking champagne. Great night. 

Didn't have the cash to go to Marseille, and it was probably the one to miss and it sounded like a bit of nightmare trip. 

Unbeaten in the CL. What a team we had that season. 

I had just turned 18 and remember being distraught in the West enclosure at the end of CSKA game. We were effectively finished when Hateley got sent off v Brugge at Ibrox. The big man was unplayable that year.

Brings a tear to the eye. That was the one season I have ever watched Rangers truly compete on the world stage. No Scottish team has ever come close since.

Leeds had Cantona, McAllister & Strachan as their 3 foreigners, but the rest of their team weren’t up to much. Milan had van Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard, but also top Italian players like Baresi & Maldini. But in truth Marseille did have the best team. Their foreigners were German World Cup winner Rudi Voller, Abedi Pele and Croatian star Allen Boksic, but they also had the core of the team who won the World Cup with France 6 years later - Deschamps, Desailly and Fabian Barthez, with hair..

Add the scrapping of the 3 foreigners rule to the list of what’s wrong with modern football. We had 8 Scots, and it felt like a handicap having to go in with the likes of Steven Pressley. But in fact it enabled a level playing field. 

Finally, that second goal against Leeds at Elland Road. Ferguson’s tackle. Durrant’s through ball. Hateley’s cross. And that diving header back across the goal from McCoist.. quite simply one of the best goals in the history of world football. Coisty was genuinely world class, which sometimes people forget. Even the late Brian Moore & Ron Atkinson were impressed!

That season was the high water mark for me. We had many great days after that but we never again competed in Europe with such authority and style. The shocker is that was 25 years ago.

21 hours ago, 917 said:

Brings a tear to the eye. That was the one season I have ever watched Rangers truly compete on the world stage. No Scottish team has ever come close since.

Leeds had Cantona, McAllister & Strachan as their 3 foreigners, but the rest of their team weren’t up to much. Milan had van Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard, but also top Italian players like Baresi & Maldini. But in truth Marseille did have the best team. Their foreigners were German World Cup winner Rudi Voller, Abedi Pele and Croatian star Allen Boksic, but they also had the core of the team who won the World Cup with France 6 years later - Deschamps, Desailly and Fabian Barthez, with hair..

Add the scrapping of the 3 foreigners rule to the list of what’s wrong with modern football. We had 8 Scots, and it felt like a handicap having to go in with the likes of Steven Pressley. But in fact it enabled a level playing field. 

Finally, that second goal against Leeds at Elland Road. Ferguson’s tackle. Durrant’s through ball. Hateley’s cross. And that diving header back across the goal from McCoist.. quite simply one of the best goals in the history of world football. Coisty was genuinely world class, which sometimes people forget. Even the late Brian Moore & Ron Atkinson were impressed!

I thought the Durrant pass into space forAlexei Mikhailichenko to run onto and cross for the McSwegan goal againt Marseille was world class in itself but was followed by two more sublime touches before it hit the back of the net.

Allied to the claims that emerged, the Hately sending off against Bruges raises a question we'll never know the answer to.

If you look at it, there is an elbow and they happen in aerial challenges but it was the subsequent uncalled for push that got him sent off and that wasn't necessary.

The sad thing is that some of our younger supporters will not have realised that at that time we were the biggest and richest club in Britain bar none. And last year's defeat in Luxembourg is the biggest disgrace to befall us. Pedro should have gone right then, right there. I would rather see us compete at the top in Europe again than beat a poor Keltic side every season in the Scottish League.

Remember in Marseilles going down this back alley to some bar where someone told us that they had tickets for the game , kept waiting on Popeye Doyle to make an appearance and wishing I had a gun in my pocket , scary place for strangers