Derek Johnstone: I'm delighted to be back as Ibrox Ambassador

On SSB, DJ tends to try & be the voice of reason, and an unbiased view.  However, being an official ambassador for the club changes that - he can no long be impartial in matters regarding Rangers.  I'd imagine it will be part of his Ambassadorial duties to represent the club, promote it's worth & speak out against uthruths ie. protect the clubs reputation - you simply can't do that by being impartial.

They are not slow in looking to Mark Wilson in order to get a Ceptic view point on things....

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

An Ambassadorial role is ceremonial.  DJ isn't there to win a PR war, he's there to smile and shake hands.

DJ's role is to represent & promote the club.  True, he not there to win a PR war, but at the same time he can't be expected to sit & do nothing while others talk sh*te about the club. 

4 minutes ago, Darthter said:

he can't be expected to sit & do nothing while others talk sh*te about the club. 

Considering he's been doing just that for years, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

37 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Considering he's been doing just that for years, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

no doubt that he has...but being an Official Ambassador of the club now, should change that.  What good is an Ambassador, if they don't portray the club in the best light possible at every opportunity.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Club approached DJ, specifically because of his slot on Clyde SSB.

I’ve heard big DJ defend us plenty of times on Clyde.

I think some seem to expect him to shout down any and all criticism of Rangers no matter how justified it is.  Any less than that then he’s apparently in dereliction of duty and his exploits as a player forever tarnished.  

I cant get my head around that at all.

Edited by Unicorn

1 minute ago, Unicorn said:

I’ve heard dj defend us plenty of times on Clyde.

I think some seem to expect him to shout down any and all criticism of Rangers no matter how justified it is.  Any less than that then he’s apparently in dereliction of duty and his exploits as a player forever tarnished.  

I cant get my head around that at all.

You have to remember that until recently, he wasn't an employee of the club....he is now.

I have also heard, on occasion, when he has gone against the rest & spoken positively about us, but for the most part he assumes the "devils advocate" role.

21 hours ago, Darthter said:

You have to remember that until recently, he wasn't an employee of the club....he is now.

I have also heard, on occasion, when he has gone against the rest & spoken positively about us, but for the most part he assumes the "devils advocate" role.

He is an ambassador for the club.  I'm not sure if that is a salaried position but I imagine it is.  He is also however in a salaried position on the radio.  He cannot have a conflict of interest, otherwise one of the positions would be untenable.  He therefore has to manage the situation and conduct himself in a proper manner.  If his way of dong that is to take a devil's advocate role, then what's the problem with that?

I can't believe some of the stick he's getting for this.  He's a Rangers man through and through and I'm delighted he's been given this role.