Rangers failing academy and Mark Allen

For several years I have taken a keen interest in goings on at Auchenhowie, getting along to watch the youngsters whenever I can. Admittedly due to becoming a father, these opportunities are rare these days but I still like to keep up to date with goings on as best as I can.

So when I hear the training centre getting tarred as a ‘Youth department that fails consistently’ that irks me to say the least.

https://fourladshadadream.wordpress.com/2018/05/29/rangers-failing-academy-and-mark-allen/

It's really quite sad when we constantly read supposedly senior football writers in Scotland fail to offer any sort of balance in they way they cover Rangers. By all means be critical but at least be fair and, above all, accurate. The Daily Record is a regular embarrassment and Keith Jackson really has taken this to a new level.

Rangers is not a club without its failings. It's relationship with the media is a poor one and some of the criticism aimed at us in that regard has merit. Indeed, RFC fans are hardly glowing in praise of its PR work. However, some journalists are beyond objectivity when it comes to our club.

It's worth adding that I'm not always convinced banning organisations and their reps from Ibrox is the best strategy but if and when it does happen, Rangers need to be completely clear in why that approach is chosen and maintained.  If Jackson intends embarrassing us on a daily basis, then we should do the same where appropriate.

When Keith Jackson 'gets the hump' with an individual/whatever, he tends to conduct an ongoing campaign without any interest in any balance. Equally, if he decides the sun shines out of the bahooky of someone (or is a source of information), there follows positive coverage without balance.

Sometimes there is good reason behind the general theme, eg. he gave the spivs a hardtime because he got the info to do so. The spivs (or Irvine for them) would argue that the coverage wasn't balanced and technically he'd probably be right..... but in this case you could argue with IMO good reason, that the balance did exist if you looked at the media as a whole.

Gordon Strachan, Scott Brown, Kenny Miller and others can't do any wrong in the eyes of KJ.

Pedro got a hardtime from the get-go and the Kenny Miller/positive coverage/new contract,.... had a part to play in that.

He had his sources and he knew from prior to the Progress match that it wasn't going to work.

The SFA tended to get a really hardtime from Jackson, I'm not sure if that has changed with the new broom but if it did, it would tell a story. Would he bring up the Private Eye clipping on Murdoch McLennan?

Football writers are journalists and as such, like all of their ilk, demand the "freedom of the press" as one of the hallmarks of democracy and freedom and whatnot. What many of their profession neglect time and again though is that they not only have freedoms, but also responsibilities. They sure have the freedom to write their opinion on facts, but they should also represent the facts as such and not in an agenda driven way. While you can just about accept that hacks like Jackson and Co. write stuff from their angle, it is absolutely deplorable that the BBC doesn't reign in the reporting of serial offender McLaughlin, but in fact takes the bizarre stance of boycotting Rangers instead. Something which amounts to "media tribalism/sectarianism" rather than accepting responsibilities.

4 minutes ago, Frankie said:

No chance RE: McLennan given his previous associations with the Record.

Of course (wasn't thinking)......... but then perhaps their rivals might be more interested :whistle:

Calling Mr Devlin...........

Edited by buster.

One part that the article didn't really touch on is that while there are are few youths who have made it to the 1st team squad, there aren't many who are getting regular game time.  That aspect could be seen as a failing.

It is counter-acted by the fact that they mention several very promising players who are coming through & could well be knocking on the 1st team door in the near future.

I definitely think it's unfair to say that the academy is "failing"....under-performing in recent years is maybe more accurate....but you also have to factor in the the Managers player preferences - some are hell-bent on bringing youths into the 1st team, some prefer to buy players in.

19 minutes ago, Darthter said:

One part that the article didn't really touch on is that while there are are few youths who have made it to the 1st team squad, there aren't many who are getting regular game time.  That aspect could be seen as a failing.

It is counter-acted by the fact that they mention several very promising players who are coming through & could well be knocking on the 1st team door in the near future.

I definitely think it's unfair to say that the academy is "failing"....under-performing in recent years is maybe more accurate....but you also have to factor in the the Managers player preferences - some are hell-bent on bringing youths into the 1st team, some prefer to buy players in.

If there is quality there will be a pathway, eg. Ross McCrorie.

It takes a special youngster to be able to handle all aspects of a step-up to the demands of the Rangers first-team and stay there.

That's why over the years there are countless stories of promising youngsters that come to nothing or leave and have a career elsewhere.

ie. First and foremost, we need to produce quality .