Difficult to say what may become of him. I think we could all agree a guy like Gerrard will be not just asking for the utmost in professionalism but demanding it and the recent behaviour of Pena wont be tolerated.

The article says he went into rehab two weeks ago. Does this mean he has taken a look at himself and decided he still wants to be a professional footballer? Trying to suggest to Gerrard that he can be?

Anyone with a chance of getting into this team will have to be turning up for pre season soon ready to get going and I don't mean going to the pub. 

The guy has a dozen caps for Mexico and showed at times last season he could play (or at least finish). However it was like watching a player at one of those legends games. He was nowhere near fit enough for us, and I can’t really see that changing. However, his wages are so high & no other club will sign him, so I think we have to give him a chance. Same with Herrera, although he actually was fit enough but never looked skilful enough. How either player got capped by Mexico is a mystery, but they couldn’t have always been that bad & aren’t that old to be considered over the hill.

9 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Difficult to say what may become of him. I think we could all agree a guy like Gerrard will be not just asking for the utmost in professionalism but demanding it and the recent behaviour of Pena wont be tolerated.

The article says he went into rehab two weeks ago. Does this mean he has taken a look at himself and decided he still wants to be a professional footballer? Trying to suggest to Gerrard that he can be?

Anyone with a chance of getting into this team will have to be turning up for pre season soon ready to get going and I don't mean going to the pub. 

Difficult to say what may become of him? There has never been a more obvious instance of a player who clearly has no future with us. He has as much chance of being a regular under Gerrard as I do. 

7 hours ago, 917 said:

The guy has a dozen caps for Mexico and showed at times last season he could play (or at least finish). However it was like watching a player at one of those legends games. He was nowhere near fit enough for us, and I can’t really see that changing. However, his wages are so high & no other club will sign him, so I think we have to give him a chance. Same with Herrera, although he actually was fit enough but never looked skilful enough. How either player got capped by Mexico is a mystery, but they couldn’t have always been that bad & aren’t that old to be considered over the hill.

I don't think having a small amount of caps for Mexico necessarily means anything. Remember when Celtic signed Brazilian internationalist Rafael Scheidt? 

4 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

I don't think having a small amount of caps for Mexico necessarily means anything. Remember when Celtic signed Brazilian internationalist Rafael Scheidt? 

I'm not sticking up for Pena but Rafeal Scheidt was part of a scam that Celtic, and a few other clubs, fell for. The Brazil manager and a number of football agents realised that a player who was a full Brazilian international commanded a premium transfer fee and salary in Europe. Plus without international recognition it was hard to get a work permit for some countries. So Wanderlay Luxemburgo, the Brazil manager, and I imagine a number of officials at the Brazilian FA, arranged copious amounts of meaningless friendlies where players never normally good enough to be picked for Brazil got capped. These players were then touted to gullible European sides as full Brazilian internationals (which they technically were) who fell for the rouse and signed them up, often on lucrative contracts and decent transfer fees. I'm sure the players got some of it but Luxemburgo and the agents grew fat off this until it was rumbled after a few years. 

I'm surprised Celtic haven't demanded an independent enquiry into it.

Pena looks a shadow of the player he must have been at some point in his career, whatever his failings today he earned his caps the correct way.