CARLOS PENA’s agent has revealed the midfielder has attracted interest from other clubs after checking himself into rehab.

And Salvador Necochea has revealed he will negotiate with Rangers to try and come to an agreement over the two remaining years of his Ibrox contract.

Pena voluntarily entered the Baja el Sol rehabilitation clinic in the Mexican state of Sinaloa after a series of alcohol-related incidents at his loan club Cruz Azul, which caused former Gers boss Pedro Caixinha to bin him just six months into a year-long stay.

However, Necochea is convinced Pena will be transformed by the stay at the clinic, which is owned by Mexican boxing legend Julio Cesar Chavez, who praised Pena for having the courage to enter the facility.

And his agent has revealed other clubs are interested in the Mexican international after his brave decision to check himself into rehab.

He said: “We are proud Carlos has taken this decision. It’s not easy to take the bull by the horns. He himself decided to take this option.

We will communicate with Rangers to see if we can resolve the matter of the remainder of his contract."

(Taken from FF source unknown)

Surely he is not looking for a pay off.:eek2:
He should be giving us last years wages back.

Leaving aside the impact on Rangers, I feel quite sorry for Pena. Alcoholism is a lottery and chooses its victims at random. I doubt Pena has done half of what some will do without ever becoming trapped by that horrible addiction.

Personally I hope he can get on top of this and find a productive career again, whether with us or elsewhere. In the meantime, i hope we treat him with respect and sympathy.

3 hours ago, Darthter said:

If other clubs are interested...they can pay up for him!!!

if he doesn't turn up for training etc maybe he has broken his contract and we can get shot of him. On the other hand if he pleads ill health due to alcoholism then I don't know how that can be dealt with. Maybe there's illness insurance but I can't see any insurance company wearing that one.  Who knows ?

Edited by colinstein

He is an absolute chancer. He has no character and he’s playing the system. He’s robbed Rangers fans to finance a lifestyle of delinquency and laziness. 

Its so obvious. His agent talking about a pay off is predictable. 

Do a deal and get him out by all means but there are far far more worthy causes for peoples sympathy. 

Alcoholism is a disease.  I sympathise with Pena in his fight and applaud him

in his efforts to curtail it.

What a terrible signing he was though.  A relatively large fee and, presumably, generous wages wasted.  All the warning signs were there about him and his problems off the pitch.

Good to see that his agent seems to be the first to blink wrt the inevitable pay-off negotiations.

On the quiet, I'd get a Private Investigator to confirm that the player is attending rehab.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

Good to see that his agent seems to be the first to blink wrt the inevitable pay-off negotiations.

On the quiet, I'd get a Private Investigator to confirm that the player is attending rehab.

Agree. I’d trust him and his agent as far as I could throw them.