Pena, who still has two years of his Ibrox contract to go, insists he is determined to beat his demons and return to the form that saw him capped by his country.

And, in an interview on Mexican TV, Pena was asked whether Cruz Azul boss Caixinha was aware of the extent of his problems.

Pena said: “Pedro Caixinha knew about my issues, we were together for six months in Scotland so he was aware about my situation.

“I want to cleanse myself, that’s why I have come here. “I have a problem and I still have it, but I am getting treatment for it. “The people here are wonderful. I have heard some incredible stories.

“They have made me feel valued again. “I want to return to being a father, a husband, a son and a brother.  “I want to come out of this and be the best midfielder in Mexico again.”

And Pena revealed why he decided to seek help for his troubles.

He said: “The days went by and I realised I had to do something. I made the decision with my wife. I’m here to clean up and do something with my life.

“For me, it was just alcohol. I’ve never taken drugs and I don’t smoke. “It wasn’t that I drunk particularly large amounts of alcohol, but sometimes I was going out on a three-day session and going to parties too.

“I realised as an athlete I wasn’t doing too well and I was having a hard time getting from box to box like I used to. “And afterwards I was exhausted. I realised things had to change.

“It’s a difficult step to recognise you have a problem. I thought everything was fine, but it wasn’t. “I won’t be the first or last person with this problem.

“I left home when I was 13 to fulfil my dream of being a footballer and I’ve won titles and played in the World Cup. “Now I want to get back to those days.”

Caixinha himself insisted he was delighted Pena was on the mend, although refused to reveal whether he would take him back to Cruz Azul.

He pointed out: “Carlos is a great player and a huge human being and that’s why I gave him not just one, but two opportunities. “Sadly, for the situation that is now known, he didn’t take them.

“I am so pleased he has taken this decision. I want him to recover as a man and as a player. “I wish him the best from the bottom of my heart.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2739618/carlos-pena-rehab-alcoholism-pedro-caixinha-rangers-cruz-azul/

It was pretty well documentated that Pena had had his issues prior to his signing and I heard a Mexican pundit say going to Scotland was a chance to get his career back on track. Alocoholism wasn't specified but 'issues' over a relatively long period usually involve one of the 'constant negatives'.

1 minute ago, gisabeer said:

still don't want him back.

I am all for giving guys a chance, if he gets himself clean and SG thinks he can improve him then he could yet get back to his best! anyway it will be up to SG if he stays, luckily fans don't have a say in what players are signed!

4 hours ago, ian1964 said:

I am all for giving guys a chance, if he gets himself clean and SG thinks he can improve him then he could yet get back to his best! anyway it will be up to SG if he stays, luckily fans don't have a say in what players are signed!

I think we're stuck with him unless he chooses to leave. There are laws governing the treatment of addicts and, as his employer, we will be obliged to provide counselling and therapy before even thinking about getting rid.

IF....(and it's a big if), he can get himself sorted & get his head back in the game, he could be a very good player for us.  However, that all depends on him (& the folk round about him).

Any moves to terminate contracts etc, should come from the player IMHO....it puts the club in a stronger bargaining position if the player wants to finish it.  From a Rangers point of view, they should present a helpful & supportive front to the player (& agent) - make it clear that they will support whatever treatment he requires (absolute minimum financial support though).

If the player doesn't want to return to Glasgow, he can resign/quit & therefore negate any compensation payoff.

I should maybe point out that the guy is very unlikely to put his kids and family through this in the public eye without sincerity and seeking help. It may be that he doesn’t want to come back? He might want to and resurrect things here (in my opinion he shouldn’t but that’s only my opinion).

Either way some of the comments have been intolerant to say the least and it’s good to see most taking a more balanced approach. His health and family come first. The club also have a duty of care. Ultimately it’s his life journey and I hope he gets back on track? As has been pointed out his footballing potential is there for all to see.

All understandable there was a common denominator in the problem---Caxhino so it might well be if he dries out there is a player.Gerard though will no doubt consider all his options on the matter.

Addiction is a vicious dog. The problem with addiction as with most abhorrent behavior are triggers. For athletes, as with anyone, many of those triggers are rooted in their vocation. This is why so many continue to fail at recovery while still playing. Therefore, it would be a risky proposition inviting him back because only HE knows what stimulates his need to use. Or, maybe he does not. It's a gamble.