SPL fixtures 2018/19; Aberdeen v Rangers first game

10 minutes ago, pete said:

Entry in to the computer

Rangers = away

opponent must start with A

Or more likely

Rangers = away

Opponent must be highest placed team in league last season, aside from Celtic.

As supporters we want to see how the team performs against Celtic and Aberdeen so I'm excited that these are our early games.  Of course I'd like to have had our first game at home but maybe an away tie is a blessing, unless SG manages to turn around our home fortunes quickly.

I don't think Aberdeen or Celtic will be too excited about playing us so early though.  I'm sure they'd rather watch how we play for a few games before deciding on the tactics against us.  We are an unknown quantity.  They aren't.  That may be to our advantage.

Call me a terrible sports fan but I have NEVER understood the allure of home v. away. It's not as if the other team gets an extra man. It's not as if there is some sort of game handicap initiated.

If I were on the pitch I would relish away games, especially in an attacking position. The rush of shutting opposing fans up is pretty spectacular. I have been to sporting events as an away fan where the team I supported thrashed the home side. The atmosphere created was intoxicating. For my money, even more than at home. It's as if you are part of a conquering army and the citizenry just emotionally relent. Those faces downturned and sorrowful brings true happiness. Nothing like taking scalps in indian country.  Real champs, are killers.

3 hours ago, Malangsob said:

Call me a terrible sports fan but I have NEVER understood the allure of home v. away. It's not as if the other team gets an extra man. It's not as if there is some sort of game handicap initiated.

If I were on the pitch I would relish away games, especially in an attacking position. The rush of shutting opposing fans up is pretty spectacular. I have been to sporting events as an away fan where the team I supported thrashed the home side. The atmosphere created was intoxicating. For my money, even more than at home. It's as if you are part of a conquering army and the citizenry just emotionally relent. Those faces downturned and sorrowful brings true happiness. Nothing like taking scalps in indian country.  Real champs, are killers.

Being at home is an advantage even the bookies respond to.  When it's two evenly matched sides they will lay shorter odds on the home team.

On last season's results, it seems that home advantage is overstated, particularly for those at the top of the table. Hibs being the exception.

games won

Celtic                      home: 11/19  away 13/19

Aberdeen              home 11/19  away 11/19

Rangers                 home 10/19 away  11/19

Hibs                       home 11/19  away 7/19

Kilmarnock           home 9/19 away 7/19

Hearts                   home 8/18  away 4/20

Motherwell          home 8/20  away 5/18

St Johnstone        home 5/19  away 7/19

Dundee                home 6/19 away 5/19

Hamilton             home 5/19 away 4/19

Partick                 home  6/19 away 2/19

Ross County       home 3/19 away 3/19

The one thing that I was interested most in was us being away to the Scum, Aberdeen and Hibs first. For that means - unless they mess this up due to someone complaining - that we'll play them all at home in the last batch of fixtures.

The one thing that I was interested most in was us being away to the Scum, Aberdeen and Hibs first. For that means - unless they mess this up due to someone complaining - that we'll play them all at home in the last batch of fixtures.
Its to make sure we have a 3rd trip to easter road or pittodrie