Didn't watch the game but the Russians have started with a bang,.......... interesting !

Always good to see the hosts do well.

Good to see my favourite Russian footballer, Cheryshev get a couple. He was the player that Real Madrid played by mistake in a Cup-tie and got booted out, sending my wee Spanish team through, Cadiz.

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Russia were not that great; Saudi Arabia, although starting lively, didn't do anything and were terrible defensively. 

5-0 flattered them, I think.

Those were my exact words.  1st 10 minutes Saudi Arabia were showing some neat 1 touch passes in little triangles.  Completely fell apart after the 1st goal and the 2nd goal is the goal that you would constantly show to youngsters when telling them "stay on your feet".....

5-0 flattered the Russians.  The Saudi's were so poor that this result tells us nothing, other than that the Saudi team are there just to make up the numbers

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Russia were not that great; Saudi Arabia, although starting lively, didn't do anything and were terrible defensively. 

5-0 flattered them, I think.

Can't really say much as I didn't see it but 5 goals in a WC match aren't to be dismissed lightly.

The least it will give them is confidence, momentum, GD boost and a decent chance of making the next round.

BTW, within the last 14 days or so, Germany lost at home 2-1 to Austria and won 2-1 against the Saudis, who missed a great chance to equalize late on.

Some of the Saudis showed good footwork and ability, the end product was woeful though. Wonder how some of them would fare if tried in a more demanding surrounding.

2 hours ago, craig said:

Those were my exact words.  1st 10 minutes Saudi Arabia were showing some neat 1 touch passes in little triangles.  Completely fell apart after the 1st goal and the 2nd goal is the goal that you would constantly show to youngsters when telling them "stay on your feet".....

5-0 flattered the Russians.  The Saudi's were so poor that this result tells us nothing, other than that the Saudi team are there just to make up the numbers

I don't think the result did flatter the Russians. They were a very ordinary side that will most likely get tanked in their next two games ... but Saudi Arabia were just dreadful ... useless ... pathetic ... hopeless ... and probably shouldn't be at a WC finals.

I thought it was all a bit predictable, and though it started off well enough , a selfish decision in the middle to do 'Feel' when surely the Take That classic 'Rule the World' would've been more appropriate, ruined it a bit for me.

;).