23 minutes ago, compo said:

As I was born in Aldershot it's  , come on England. 

If you want England to go into the easier half of the draw and probably a better possibility of going deeper into the competition........

Come on Belguim !

1 minute ago, buster. said:

If you want England to go into the easier half of the draw and probably a better possibility of going deeper into the competition........

Come on Belguim !

Come on the gers that's all I am really interested in .

23 hours ago, buster. said:

Top half

Uruguay v Portugal

France v Argentina

Mexico v Brazil

Japan v 1st place

23 hours ago, buster. said:

Bottom half

Spain v Russia

Croatia v Denmark

Sweden v Switzerland

Columbia v 2nd place

Updated

Do England fans want to win group ?

3 hours ago, buster. said:

Updated

Do England fans want to win group ?

Aside from the next game I don't think there is a huge amount between either half, though the top half looks a bit harder than the bottom.

That said, the bottom half still contains the stand outs of the tournament for me, Croatia.  Spain can beat anyone on their day too.  But the rest of those teams are certainly beatable.

Top half any of those teams should be tough, aside from Japan and maybe Mexico.  However, Uruguay, France and Argentina have been poor so far - which means the only major challenge to England (based on current form) would be Brazil and Portugal... but even they both have blown hot and cold.

If you ignored the football being played and went purely on reputation you would pick the bottom half of the draw.  But I am not sure you would want to be in the same half as Spain & Croatia.

10 hours ago, craig said:

Aside from the next game I don't think there is a huge amount between either half, though the top half looks a bit harder than the bottom.

That said, the bottom half still contains the stand outs of the tournament for me, Croatia.  Spain can beat anyone on their day too.  But the rest of those teams are certainly beatable.

Top half any of those teams should be tough, aside from Japan and maybe Mexico.  However, Uruguay, France and Argentina have been poor so far - which means the only major challenge to England (based on current form) would be Brazil and Portugal... but even they both have blown hot and cold.

If you ignored the football being played and went purely on reputation you would pick the bottom half of the draw.  But I am not sure you would want to be in the same half as Spain & Croatia.

Yes, the top generally looks and is considered by most of the footballing world, a tougher proposition to get out of than the bottom.

Historically

The top has 4 past winners with a total of 10 World Cups between them

The bottom has 2 with 2

The top has both finalists from the most recent European Championship

The bottom has 7 European teams, none of which made the Euros 2016 quarter finals

Presently

The top has 5 of the top 8 ranked FIFA teams

The bottom has 1 plus Spain at 10th

Form

IMO Belguim are the side that has shown a little bit more than the rest.

Croatia have impressed but I don't think they have enough to win it.

Spain have shown a defensive vulnerability that would IMO make Croatia favourites to beat them.

A prospective and hypothetical glance at the quarter final line-up shows IMO a narrower gap between top and bottom with England getting IMO the most favourable tie possible (same would be applicable if it is Sweden). Their route to a possible semi-final of an easy group, followed by an unconvincing Columbia  side then Sweden or Switzerland is the stuff past England managers must have dreamt about. Especially when you add Croatia or a vulnerable Spain side  in a possible semi-final.

Will they be good enough is another thing but they won't get a better chance.

Uruguay v France

Brazil v Belguim

Spain v Croatia

England v Switzerland

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

When you see that there are no World Cup games on today...

A 24 hour break is welcome.

Gives you time to shag the Mrs whilst at the back of your mind contemplating a France v Argentina KO game tomorrow.

:thup: