Don’t ever have an opinion. If you do, don’t ever express it.

Much as I enjoy seeing Nikla stuttering and the SNP dribbling gravy down it’s front again, where exactly is the “racism” and “xenophobia” in Gillian Martin’s spoutings? Damned if I can see it.

It looks like politics is now about having no opinion other than the pre-sanitised press release.

24 minutes ago, Bill said:

Much as I enjoy seeing Nikla stuttering and the SNP dribbling gravy down it’s front again, where exactly is the “racism” and “xenophobia” in Gillian Martin’s spoutings? Damned if I can see it.

It looks like politics is now about having no opinion other than the pre-sanitised press release.

Nothing to do with politics....I think it's just the way society as a whole is going.  It basically becomes difficult to say anything or voice any kind of opinion without SOMEONE being offended by it.

It has everything to do with politics. It’s one thing for society to wallow in offendedness but it’s politicians that turn sour grapes into hate crimes and erode freedom of expression.

55 minutes ago, Bill said:

It has everything to do with politics. It’s one thing for society to wallow in offendedness but it’s politicians that turn sour grapes into hate crimes and erode freedom of expression.

Like most things, you need a balance.

Racism, xenaphobia, etc. very much exist and should be treated accordingly.

On the other hand, there are some that try and erode freedom of expression for their own interests.

Ironically but not by casual accident, it is now when there is a general rise in racism and xenaphobia that there is a bigger cry to let things slide. Part of this is down to a concerted effort to normalise degrees of racism, xenaphobia, etc.

I'd agree that it's a lot to do with politics.

You present a live example on this messageboard,  in that for some things you are in the anti 'I'm offended' camp but for others it's about freedom of expression/speech.....(corrleating to your politics).

Edited by buster.

41 minutes ago, buster. said:

Like most things, you need a balance.

Racism, xenaphobia, etc. very much exist and should be treated accordingly.

On the other hand, there are some that try and erode freedom of expression for their own interests.

Ironically but not by casual accident, it is now when there is a general rise in racism and xenaphobia that there is a bigger cry to let things slide. Part of this is down to a concerted effort to normalise degrees of racism, xenaphobia, etc.

I'd agree that it's a lot to do with politics.

You present a live example on this messageboard,  in that for some things you are in the anti 'I'm offended' camp but for others it's about freedom of expression/speech.....(corrleating to your politics).

I don’t understand you’re point. I think it got lost in too many words. 

2 hours ago, Darthter said:

Nothing to do with politics....I think it's just the way society as a whole is going.  It basically becomes difficult to say anything or voice any kind of opinion without SOMEONE being offended by it.

British humour will be a very dour affair for future generations.

When did we develop such think skins?  Criticism is an essential tool in a productive society.

More folk need to read Nietzsche.

Edited by Gonzo79