The Orange Order - Help Me Out Please

I am very uneducated when it comes to the Orange Order. I have had a Protestant upbringing but I have no family members / friends who are in the OO (I genuinely no of no one who is in it yet I know scores of Rangers fans).

All I hear and read is that the Orange Order hate Catholics and that is their reason to be. Can someone educate me, is that actually the case?

I understand that their main celebration is the victory at the Battle of the Boyne in which they defeated King James (and all his Rebel Scum) and this was a major moment in the spread of Protestantism (and James was on the Catholic side) (again, my understanding may be wrong). So, is it a case that as this event is celebrated, and it happens to be a victory over the Catholics, and that this celebration is purposefully misinterpreted as hatred of Catholics rather than celebration of their own part of Protestantism? Or am I being naive?

Thanks in advance!

they've got a description in their intro that they regard other churches apart from their own (which I think is the presbyterian church of N. Ireland) as not true  to the faith. That includes RC's, Church of Scotland, Episcopals, Church of England and lots more. I've read a short charter but it was a while ago so memory might not be that accurate. The tims choose to highlight the RC bit but they are anti everybody else as well. Since Church of Scotland people are members of the OO, it shows the original charter is not really the position of the OO today.

My uncles and aunts on my ma's side were all in it but none of them ever went to any church. My ma thought they were "headcases" My da was a tim but never went to chapel....he would always tell me the Irish stuff didn't feed him or his family.

I see it as a big folk festival and people are entitled to celebrate their culture........doesn't stop me giving it laldy when they're under the bridge (see youtube) but no one's perfect

@colinstein, I always say Tim and mean a Celtc fan - nothing to do with religion.  

I don't pay much heed to the OO.  They're Unionists, so they're good guys and that's why Irish Republicans and ScotNats hate them.  

Edited by Gonzo79

12 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

@colinstein, I always say Tim and mean a Celtc fan - nothing to do with religion.  

I don't pay much heed to the OO.  They're Unionists, so they're good guys and that's why Irish Republicans and ScotNats hate them.  

that is not the parlance I grew up around....a tim was indeed a Celtic supporter.......but that was synonymous with being a catholic....they all supported Celtic. Tim is derived from Timalloy...a violent  catholic gang from the east end of glasgow........it's also why they call themselves the b(h)oys.........it's rhyming slang for the  loy part of the gang name

In my experience, they're often the worst Tims.  

I can fully understand someone who is RC and of Irish stock supporting that lot.  The converts or Lundys try harder and it shows.