JAMES Tavernier says it a “massive honour” to be named as the captain of Rangers as he prepares to lead the team out, in competitive action, for the first time since receiving the news.

The full-back was called in by Gers gaffer Steven Gerrard last week and asked how he would feel about wearing the armband this season. Tavernier led the side as a stand in captain during the 2017/18 campaign from February onwards.

Now he will take on the role on a permanent basis and while the news is still sinking in he admits it is not a job he will be taking likely.

Speaking exclusively to RangersTV he smiled: “I am delighted to be given the captain’s armband by the gaffer and for him to put the trust in me is a huge compliment.

“I found out last Wednesday morning when the gaffer called me into his office and asked what I thought of the idea and I couldn’t stop smiling, I was over the moon. I really am excited.

“He asked me where my head was and I said I was fully committed to this club, that I have unfinished business here and I want to see this club do well.

“I could never have imagined being named captain of Rangers when I first arrived here but I always knew one of my ambitions was to be a captain one day. I have always seen myself as a leader and this has come at a perfect time.

“The gaffer said the time I have spent here over the past three seasons and the work I have done since he has been in made him think I was the right man to lead the boys.

“The gaffer told the rest of the team the next day so I had to keep it a secret for a day.

“It was in tough for me though because of Lee Wallace, Waldo has been my captain since I joined Rangers so I made sure I spoke with him first to get his blessing.

“He is there for me if I need any advice or anything, he is a top lad and he said if I need any help in any areas then he is always there for me.

“Last season I stood in as captain and it was more a case of I could only influence things on the pitch and by that it was to try and lead by example.

“I am going to do the same this season but I have more responsibilities and duties off the field now so it is going to be exciting.”

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/tav-honour-to-be-captain/