'Clueless' radio host: Rangers is not a massive club worldwide

'Clueless' radio host: Rangers is not a massive club worldwide - there's no other team but Celtic in Scotland

Andy Goldstein (left) and Darren Lewis (top right)

Andy Goldstein (left) and Darren Lewis (top right)

TALKSPORT host Andy Goldstein is expected to generate debate on his late night show.

But when he entered into a discussion about the merits of Scottish football, the relative pressures on clubs north of the border with their English counterparts and where Rangers sit in world football, he probably did not reckon on the backlash he would get.

READ MORE: Dave King denies being in contempt of court in failure to make share offer over 'forced Rangers takeover'

Even his guest on the Sports Bar programme, journalist Darren Lewis, at one point refused to contribute as the two argued for over an hour over the merits of Scottish football and how the debate was being conducted.

During a often bad-tempered argument, Goldstein said Rangers "are not a massive club outside of Scotland" adding: "You know that, and I know that".

The former Soccer AM presenter argued that English Championship club Aston Villa was a bigger club than the Ibrox side, saying more people had heard of the Birmingham-based team worldwide.

Evening Times: Brendan Rodgers.jpg

He said there was no pressure on Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers in an "uncompetitive" Scottish Premiership telling one caller: "I could to that job. You could do that job."

He added: "There's no other team in Scotland at the moment."

READ MORE: Dave King blames old Mike Ashley-allied Rangers board and rival fans in outburst over court actions

And he claimed there was "no pressure" on Steven Gerrard taking over at Rangers, before changing his position to say there was less pressure on him than on managers chasing the financial rewards of a promotion to the English Premier League by getting promotion from the Championship.

The backlash started with Lewis who said at one point: "This is not a debate. It's ridiculous."

Evening Times: 04/05/18. IBROX - GLASGOW. Steven Gerrard meets the fans as he is unveiled as the new Rangers manager.

One Rangers fan caller, James Goldstein told Goldstein: "I was all right till a few minutes ago. You are absolutely clueless, my friend."

Another fan told him: "I used to think you talked a lot of sense until tonight, when you compare Aston Villa to Rangers and saying Rangers aren't a big club outside Scotland. That is what you said. Rangers and Celtic are two of the biggest clubs in Britain, support wise.

"You are comparing us to Aston Villa, you're having a laugh."

On social media some fans were expressed their despair at the level of debate.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16379550.andy-goldstein-rangers-is-not-a-massive-club-worldwide-theres-no-other-team-but-celtic-in-scotland/

• Frankie changed the title to 'Clueless' radio host: Rangers is not a massive club worldwide
47 minutes ago, buster. said:

Attention seeker shouldn't be given attention.

Agreed. Just looking for the clicks.

One particular part of his argument stuck out to me though, namely...

The former Soccer AM presenter argued that English Championship club Aston Villa was a bigger club than the Ibrox side, saying more people had heard of the Birmingham-based team worldwide.

...which seems like a stupid thing to say, considering how many RSC's there are worldwide, not to mention yearly conferences, etc, all over the place. I'd argue you're more likely (almost guaranteed) to find a Rangers pub/club if you travel overseas as well. I don't ever remember seeing a Villa one when I've been on holiday.

Talksport do click bait all the time. It's just a way of getting their figures up. You can often tell when the two presenters have been allocated different sides of the argument and they have to justify it.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

Talksport do click bait all the time. It's just a way of getting their figures up. You can often tell when the two presenters have been allocated different sides of the argument and they have to justify it.

I heard this last night and listened to some of it. I ended up turning over to the darts as the guy is an idiot. He is a second class fool and clearly seeks attention.

3 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Be it praise or scorn for Rangers from the Talksport presenters they are only after clicks or listeners. The substance of their remarks is only there to provoke reaction - it's a means to an end.

Just now, Unicorn said:

Click bait or not it mirrors a few arguments I’ve heard down south.  To be fair, most recognise how big we are.  

They are all in for a big shock when the money is eventually pulled from down there. It won’t last forever.