[FT] Rangers 1 (Katic 53) - 1 Osijek

Moving the ball back to front 

22 minutes ago, Frankie said:

In that sense, Steven Gerrard may be caught in two minds somewhat ahead of this evening's game.  Does he, as in Macedonia, instruct his team to keep it tight, sit deep, control the game and try to create on the counter?  Or, should he look to build on the advantage gained in Croatia and expose any weaknesses in what is a reasonable Osijek outfit?  The sell-out crowd attending the game may favour the latter but, initially at least, Gerrard hasn't been afraid to show his pragmatic side so I wouldn't expect any attacking fireworks from the off tonight.

I don't think it a good idea to let them pin us back for long periods (like first 15mins of 2nd half in Croatia) because sooner or later they'll score. It may happen late on but we shouldn't let it happen in the first half.

We need to improve on getting the ball out of our defensive third with some composure and control even when high pressed against. Sometimes it'll be better to hoof it up the park but we need to work on the short passing under pressure, so far it's been up and down.

Being able to keep the ball would be our best form of defence but it ain't our strongest suit.

I don't think we'll sit too deep but just look to control the game where we can.

To do that we will have to be better on the ball and in possession and it may mean our wingers sit deeper than normal - as per the first leg really.  That will require the fans to be patient and that's sometimes a big ask!

In saying that, I don't think we need to fear the Croatians either so, as we did with Wigan, we need to press well and make the most of the chances we hopefully create.  Score at least once and I think the tie is ours.

Would like to agree with Frankie's line-up, a solid defense guarded by Coulibaly and Jack. Tav needs to stay focussed, not least on his defensive duties. Our attacking four need to take any chances that come their way. Maybe SG springs a suprise and throws Middleton in from the off (young he may be, but good enough he is), so we can get an early goal.

While I am optimistic, these are Croats and they sure can play football. They were in the WC finals for a reason.

Edited by der Berliner

It seems the Croats mind games have got thru to us. I think we afford them too much credit and I’m confident we’ll roll them over. 

Edited by Bill

1 minute ago, Bill said:

It seems the Croats mind games have got thru to us. I think we afford them too much credit and I’m confident we’ll roll them over. 

I'm absolutely confident of winning but that doesn't mean the manager won't be cautious in his line-up, if not how they actually approach the game.

Agree with Bill, why are we offering to much respect to the Croat team?

Sure they had a good 15min spell at the beginning of the second half last week and could have scored a couple of goals but so should we have.

We need to take the initiative from the first whistle and look to put this tie to bed early doors with a goal or two before half time.

17 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I'm absolutely confident of winning but that doesn't mean the manager won't be cautious in his line-up, if not how they actually approach the game.

I'n sure he will Frankie but let's hope he is not over cautious although i'm sure at home he won't be.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Rest assured, these chaps' mind games (which I haven't read) have had little to do with me remark above. Croatia has produced top-notch footballers for decades who load the top tiers in Spain, Italy, France and Germany. We don't need to fear them, but respect and caution should be on the agenda.