Fan-zones, politicians and community spirit

Around three weeks ago, Club 1872 received formal confirmation from Rangers that the proposed Ibrox Fanzone pilot has been cancelled for the foreseeable future due to the direct intervention of SNP, Glasgow City Councillors Stephen Dornan, Susan Aitken and David McDonald.

Very serious questions now exist over the actions of Council Leader Susan Aitken and her deputy David McDonald in this process, and that is something on which we are seeking urgent clarity from Glasgow City Council (GCC). We recently submitted an FOI request to GCC in an attempt to discover precisely what role these two councillors played in ensuring that the Fanzone application had to be withdrawn prior to a scheduled licensing hearing even taking place. We have also written to them personally to ask them why they intervened in this case and what track record they have of intervening in similar public entertainment licence applications.

Having seen Mr Dornan’s public comments, as well as his submissions to the Licensing Board on the matter, it is clear that he has taken every opportunity to misrepresent the purpose of the fanzone and the excellent work which Rangers do to support the local community. Mr Dornan’s attitude towards Rangers and our supporters shows a level of ignorance and malice which does not reflect well on him, either personally or in his role as councillor for Govan. However, our understanding is that his lobbying efforts had been unsuccessful until the late intervention of his colleagues. Despite council officials and Glasgow Life - who have vast experience of holding major sporting events in the city - being fully supportive, these individuals appear to have used their positions to circumvent due process.

In recent days Rangers have received support on this matter from across the political spectrum. This has shone a light on these activities and we thank those involved for having the integrity to speak out publicly.

Having been in close contact with Rangers regarding the Fanzone for a number of months, and having ourselves provided a submission as part of the licence application, we are pleased that the club is refusing to accept the situation as it stands. We will continue to work closely with them to ensure that facilities for our supporters at Ibrox improve over the coming months and years, regardless of any attempts to hinder that progress.

Issued by Supporters Voice Limited, a Club 1872 company

Club 1872
Excellent statement. We can only hope these two are driven out of their positions now their bias has been exposed.

I'm so pleased to see the pressure mount on these people that appear to be allowing their bias to unnecessarily damage our club.  I can accept that many politicians may not support Rangers.  I can even accept that they strongly favour or support other clubs.  What I can't accept is their openly hypocritical actions and statements.  The focus needs to be on this perceived corruption because it brings their entire party into question.

Hopefully with the support from Club 1872 and opposition politicians (who obviously have an agenda), we can get some traction around this.  I feel that the tweet about the loving Cup ceremony could be the thing that forces him to withdraw from this fight because if that gathers pace and exposure, it could seriously damage his longer term career aspirations.  These people deserve all the negative exposure that comes their way.  They've been caught out.  Scumbags, the lot of them!

Notice the DR carried the Club1872 letter re fan zone at Ibrox but omitted the part about Aitken and her cohorts wishing a similar type zone for Hampden.

That particular paper is bought because my wife does not use social media or computers and is her paper of choice.I have a read at it as it is so pathetic I have a laugh at a lot.

Despite sabotaging a proposed fanzone at Ibrox, the current Glasgow City Council regime are going to sell a large tract of land to Celtic at a knock-down price without placing it on the open market - for use as a fanzone!

C6c2UQG.png

cBQNFpD.png

pFVd5Pm.png

qzva7dr.jpg

vjutzQE.jpg

qzva7dr.jpg

WN6XmrW.jpg

The sale of the unadvertised land to ra Sellik is at the behest of the Contracts and Planning Committee. It has fifteen members, eight SNP, five Labour, one Green, and one Tory. The Convener of said Committee is Ruairi Kelly, Vice-Convener is Norman McLeod.

The other thirteen members are as follows : Frank Docherty, Greg Hepburn, Cecilia O'Lone, Hanif Raja, Ken Andrew, Christina Cannon, Mandy Morgan, Robert Connelly, Maureen Burke, Stephen Curran, Russell Robertson, James Scanlon, and Jon Molyneux.

The fore mentioned  Convener, Ruiari Kelly believes he is in a fantastic position to help his boyhood heroes.

A quarter of a century after another Committee, the Planning Committee of the then, Glasgow District Council decided to sell three streets,(Janefield Street, Kinloch Street, and Dalriada Street) to their beloved Sellik for a penny. We should note, this was after the Council incurred the costs of rehabilitation grants to all families, demolition, and land clearance.