Fan-zones, politicians and community spirit

20 hours ago, aweebluesoandso said:

Is this bigot one of the three SNP councillors that blocked the clubs application for the fan zone?

Yes.

Although he did so impartially.

No laughing at the back.

Edited by StuGers

The point has been made several times that we are not very good at politics, so I have taken that to heart and just written to my local SNP MSP to make clear my views and imploring him to ensure that this matter is thoroughly investigated.

25 minutes ago, stewarty said:

The point has been made several times that we are not very good at politics, so I have taken that to heart and just written to my local SNP MSP to make clear my views and imploring him to ensure that this matter is thoroughly investigated.

Well done stewarty, i live in England and my local MP is a Conservative, but if i still lived in Scotland that would be my course of action, however i will send an email of to Glasgow Life asking that this bigot be removed from his position within said organisation.

I don't want to get into this tbh but I had to laugh at the idea of Frank McCaveety fighting our corner? Are you having a laugh? If he was still at GCC he would hace tossed this application in the bin with his lunch wrappers then pissed on it. He's only doing this to ruffle the feathers of the SNP council as Labour are still smarting as losing their "jobs for lives" position at GCC.

22 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

If you don't cast a vote then you can't sack an incumbent politician.

The only thing that politicians fear is being sacked.

Neither Gaffer nor myself suggested not voting. You do realise that you can vote and NOT vote for anyone or a political party right?

Around three weeks ago, Club 1872 received formal confirmation from Rangers that the proposed Ibrox Fanzone pilot has been cancelled for the foreseeable future due to the direct intervention of SNP, Glasgow City Councillors Stephen Dornan, Susan Aitken and David McDonald.

Very serious questions now exist over the actions of Council Leader Susan Aitken and her deputy David McDonald in this process, and that is something on which we are seeking urgent clarity from Glasgow City Council (GCC). We recently submitted an FOI request to GCC in an attempt to discover precisely what role these two councillors played in ensuring that the Fanzone application had to be withdrawn prior to a scheduled licensing hearing even taking place. We have also written to them personally to ask them why they intervened in this case and what track record they have of intervening in similar public entertainment licence applications.

Having seen Mr Dornan’s public comments, as well as his submissions to the Licensing Board on the matter, it is clear that he has taken every opportunity to misrepresent the purpose of the fanzone and the excellent work which Rangers do to support the local community. Mr Dornan’s attitude towards Rangers and our supporters shows a level of ignorance and malice which does not reflect well on him, either personally or in his role as councillor for Govan. However, our understanding is that his lobbying efforts had been unsuccessful until the late intervention of his colleagues. Despite council officials and Glasgow Life - who have vast experience of holding major sporting events in the city - being fully supportive, these individuals appear to have used their positions to circumvent due process.

In recent days Rangers have received support on this matter from across the political spectrum. This has shone a light on these activities and we thank those involved for having the integrity to speak out publicly.

Having been in close contact with Rangers regarding the Fanzone for a number of months, and having ourselves provided a submission as part of the licence application, we are pleased that the club is refusing to accept the situation as it stands. We will continue to work closely with them to ensure that facilities for our supporters at Ibrox improve over the coming months and years, regardless of any attempts to hinder that progress.

Issued by Supporters Voice Limited, a Club 1872 company

Club 1872