The Weight of Expectation

Excellent post Doc!  You make many good points there, and the one that stands out for me is why us?  He knew most people feel it's a thankless task at a time when Celtic should roll us over for the foreseeable future.  And yet, as you say, he decided we were the right club to match his needs/ambitions at this time.  He's got confidence and determination, but also that ability to accept and thrive on expectation.  As you say, he's lived with that for much of his career.

Im sure though even he could not have predicted the turnaround he could have achieved in such a short time.  We don't know if it's enough to challenge Celtic, and based on the depth of our squad in defence, it said way to early to think we could compete in all fronts for en entire season.  However, there is so much to be encouraged by.  At the same time, there appears to be trouble in paradise as anyone will know who listened to Brenda's post match interview.  Based on that, I can't  see him being their manager by the end of the season.

While the Celtic fans revelled in our financial issues, their focus was lost from their own club.  Do they realise that they are just one bad season away from a financial meltdown?  Anyway, that's their problem.  My point on this is that Gerrard seems to have arrived at the start of a storm.  If he is capable of navigating us through this season while that other lot timplode, it could be the stuff of dreams.

There's a long way to go of course, but we are on the right track.  If we get three points today and then push Celtic next weekend, I think we will see a new order begin to take shape in Scotland.

Lets get three points today though.  If we do that, who knows what might happen in the course of a week.

There can be no disputing that Gerrad jumped in at the deep end when he came to Ibrox and he knew exactly what he was getting into but still totally went for it. I think he actually said the chance was a no brainer for him and that shows real guts and supreme confidence.

If this all went pear shaped for him he had to be well aware he could be shooting himself in the foot Nevillesque style regarding his Liverpool ambitions but still he went for it. Kudos Stevie and so far it's all working out.

Aside from all the obvious reasons I as a  Rangers fan want this to work out I also want Gerrard to get the chance to give an Osijek manager type middle finger to all the media scoffers who wrote him off before he even got started.

I think someone on the Sunday Supplement made a good point when he was appointed, suggesting that a move to us is actually better long term, as he'd perhaps get a move -- if he does well -- to a top PL side from us. Whereas if he'd went to a team in the Championship or League One he'd need another move before getting anywhere near the Liverpool job. 

6 hours ago, Uilleam said:

For the support, it's not the weight, it's the  wait. 

To be fair you can hardly blame Gerrard for that. The fact that we got thrown to the wolves in 2012 has a lot more to do with it. I'd love it to be this season where we win the league again but if it's next year I'll take it just as long as we stop those smug fuckers from across the city.

8 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I think someone on the Sunday Supplement made a good point when he was appointed, suggesting that a move to us is actually better long term, as he'd perhaps get a move -- if he does well -- to a top PL side from us. Whereas if he'd went to a team in the Championship or League One he'd need another move before getting anywhere near the Liverpool job. 

That's an interesting perspective and it might very well be true. Success at Rangers might lead to a top PL job a step quicker but the risks that come from failure are also higher too. The great thing about Gerrard is that he seems to understand this and even thrive on it. It doesn't faze him in the way that it would so many others. That's what makes me excited.

8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Aside from all the obvious reasons I as a  Rangers fan want this to work out I also want Gerrard to get the chance to give an Osijek manager type middle finger to all the media scoffers who wrote him off before he even got started.

Especially all the ex-Celtic pundits and their journo pals who couldn't wait to stick their oar in and say that Gerrard wouldn't last 6 months. A huge serving off egg is hopefully en route to their faces come Christmas when he's still here and we're on top of the league.

Souness was a great success up here and failed at Liverpool.  I'm not sure Liverpool would view him winning the league in Scotland, even this season, as validation that he should be their manager.

The English view our league as a joke, probably with some justification.

All I care about is us winning our league back and early signs suggest Gerrard might be the man to achieve that.  I hope he grows to really love Rangers and we all have a duty in that regard.  He won't be here forever, so let's focus on the here and now.