[FT] Motherwell 3 - 3 Rangers (Lafferty 15, 38; Ejaria 43)

Just now, BEARGER said:

What is your problem? Tavenier let his man go for 2nd goal also 3rd. Why would I mention any other player? 

No problem for me! as I said, we never did anything going forward thus the defense was constantly under pressure, so a defender is going to lose his man eventually, law of averages!.

The team we play next week will be much more mobile in the final third than this lot and our defence was the poorest I've seen it. We showed them wide and tried to defend the middle. We didn't look up for it, other than Katic couldn't handle them being on top of us all the time. Goldson was absolutely dreadful today and because of that Tav was stuck between a rock and a had place today. Yes he lost a man for the 3rd but he's supposed to be defending the near post not the back at corners. Who was it that was supposed to be there exactly?

EDIT: Our defending was garbage today for 90 mins not the last 3 of added time.

Edited by Big Jaws

We need more drilling with the 3-5-2. 

It was correct to match them, and it did work until we started to sit too deep and forwards not holding up the ball. 

Moving to a 4-3-3 when they took off a defender was theoretically sound -- playing one striker against their two, and trying to exploit that with wingers -- in practice it didn't work because they had far too many target-men for us to mark. 

Saying that, it does feel like individual mistakes have cost us, either unlucky slips or players not covering their man. 

It's so frustrating because they're such a scummy wee club. 

This doesn't bode well for the next 2 games.

We go to Russia with a 1 goal lead on Thursday, and then we have an Old Firm at Parkhead just days later.

This has happened 3 times this season already. In the home leg of the Osijek tie, we conceded a late equaliser, then at Aberdeen and now at Motherwell. I hope this isn't a recurring theme throughout the season.

We let Motherwell walk all over us in that 2nd half. We were constantly on the defence, never looking to get the ball up the pitch to give our defenders time to breathe.

We should have looked for a 4th goal right from the moment that 2nd half whistle was blown. I was never comfortable at all with a 1 goal lead, especially against a Motherwell side who are usually quite tough to play against.

As for Tavernier, he can't fucking defend for shit. Amazing at getting forward and getting balls into the opposition box, but by fuck he's a bombscare when he has to defend.