Would we be delighted with a draw next Sunday?

How times have changed already.

Last year I just wanted us to compete, regardless of the scoreline.  I'd like to see us compete physically with them next weekend of course, but with the morale around the club at the moment, I just can't see me being delighted with anything other than a convincing win.  That's probably unreasonable but it's how I feel.  Maybe I'm not thinking clearly or rationally, but I now don't see anything to fear when we play them.

From their perspective however, its unthinkable that Rangers win this game.  They absolutely must put a stop to all the positivity around our club at the moment, because if this momentum continues to build, there's no telling what might happen, and there's too much risk involved for Celtic.  Their business model is based on them reaching the group stages of the Champions League.  To not even be in it could be catastrophic for them.  Of course, that would be a real shame, but this game is a must win for them, and an excellent yardstick for us.  All pressure is on them.  Let's see how they handle it.

But back to us.  This is the game Gerrard will have been looking forward to.  He will want to see who he can rely on in the big games.  He will then know how much further rebuilding work is required.  We all suspect that our squad just isn't strong enough yet, but equally I think we all suspect that our first eleven is capable of beating many teams these days, including Celtic.

When we play at our best, i.e. the best we have seen this season, I dare to say that we can beat any Scottish team.  We sure should be able to go there and get three points.

The big problem we had last season was that we didn't have enough creativity and finishing power to break entrenched teams down as well as clinging on to narrow winning margins. It was in many ways a season of lost chances, rather than utter failure.

Paramount this time around could be that we need to score first (and hopefully twice), so teams like Motherwell need to open up and thus are vulnerable to counter attacks.

On a sidenote, the Goldson, Katic, McGregor - triangle at the back looks so comfortable that it defies belief. Must give the players in front of them so much confidence ...

Edited by der Berliner

I've been thinking this myself lately.

I mean, I would not be disappointed with a draw. Maybe if it was at home, yes, but if we were to go over to their ground on the day and come out with 1-1 or 0-0 or whatever I'd be content. It's hard at the best of times to beat them on their own ground. Even when we were good and winning the league it was still a challenge to go over there and win on their own turf. That being said, it did happen, we beat them 3-1 on their own ground 8 years ago.

I mean it's not impossible we snatch a win from them, they've done absolutely nothing to fix that defence of theirs, and St. Brenda is increasingly at odds with the Celtic boardroom over transfers. We're pretty solid defensively, so I can't see them scoring for fun. 

Looking forward to the 2nd, can't wait to see Morelos terrorise Jack Hendry.

Edited by RTB2004

Be delighted with a win. Relatively satisfied with a draw. For the first time in a long time it's probably the case that they're more fearful than we are. We're the form team while they have been unimpressive.

No matter the result next week it's way to early in the season for this match to be used for anything other than a yardstick to measure our progress under Stevie G. In saying that the only result i'll be disappointed with is a defeat.

5 hours ago, DMAA said:

I don’t think people are taking into account the fact the team get home late on the Friday with their body clock all over the place after going 4 hours forwards and then back again. 

We've been dammed unlucky that the fixture has come so close to a match and trip that will tire us mentally and physically.

If we get through in the EL, ..... at least we will still have momentum.

Edited by buster.

The general consensus seems to be we'd be content with a draw, delighted with a win and a loss...well, a loss to them is always the same.

To be honest, I've always felt like this prior to matches at the Piggery.

We play them at Ibrox = must win.

We play them there = must not lose.