Scandal of our Opening Fixtures

3 hours ago, DMAA said:

Only one team has 3 away games in their first 4 fixures, Rangers.

Only one team has 1 away game in their first 4 fixures, Celtic.

Location of first old firm game? Parkhead.

How is that even allowed? That game should be at Ibrox, they've broken the natural home-away rhythm in order to send us there first.

Our success thus far in Europe has compounded this issue, and particularly an away game a 9 and a half hour flight away 3 days before Parkhead.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/08/25/steven-gerrard-concerned-three-away-fixtures-week-may-take-toll/

Games have to get played so not too bothered. I am bothered about the referee's performances on the opening days for the past few years though. 

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

This is a big part of what I find annoying about it. It's just a fact that no team had to play 3 away games in 4, we should all be playing home-away-home-away.

But even hypothetically if any team had to, why on earth should it be 1 of the 4 teams representing Scotland in Europe during this period? As you've said, brings back memories of 2008, other countries do whatever they can to help the teams representing them in Europe but in Scotland, if anything, they make it as hard as they can for us.

And do you think we'd have been clinging on to 1 goal leads in those games if we were at Ibrox? I don't think so. If we were given home-away-home-away like everyone else we would have been facing Aberden at Ibrox.

I still don't see your point? If we are to be successful or even have a chance of winning the league we need to win as many games as possible. If we had 4/5 away games at the start of the season, I would be raging but we don't. And do all fixtures have a home/away even spread? For example, we play 2 consecutive home games in Sept. (Dundee, St. Johnstone) It's never home/away/home/away.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I still don't see your point?

I don't know how you don't.

The home-away order has been needlessly interrupted giving us a tougher start to the season than anyone else in the league, and that is despite the SPFL knowing when they made up the fixtures that we were one of only 4 teams with European games during that time period.

Contrast this to another Scottish side we know who are playing in Europe who only have 1 away game in this period. History tells us that a European game prior to an away game is the most likely indicator that points will be dropped. That has happened countless times for both sides of the old firm over the years, and so it has proved for us already.

The bullishness of some of the folk on here is naive. Of course we have to play all these games at some point, but a good start does matter (more so with the new manager obviously) and there was no reason or excuse given for us having to play an extra away game in our pre-international break games. If there was a reason for it like a postponed game there would be no complaints.

7 hours ago, DMAA said:

This is a big part of what I find annoying about it. It's just a fact that no team had to play 3 away games in 4, we should all be playing home-away-home-away.

But even hypothetically if any team had to, why on earth should it be 1 of the 4 teams representing Scotland in Europe during this period? As you've said, brings back memories of 2008, other countries do whatever they can to help the teams representing them in Europe but in Scotland, if anything, they make it as hard as they can for us.

And do you think we'd have been clinging on to 1 goal leads in those games if we were at Ibrox? I don't think so. If we were given home-away-home-away like everyone else we would have been facing Aberden at Ibrox.

it doesn't matter it just means we have more home games to come.

Visiting difficult away venues so near the start of the season means there is more risk of visiting these same venues 3 times in a season as has happened previously. It makes a total mockery of our " league" setup when certain teams visit difficult away venues more than their rivals do.

Swings in roundabouts. As said before we are home after every group stage euro tie whilst they are away. Gives us an advantage

I'm all for the English way of manipulating the fixtures to make them attractive as possible. When you have a product to sell you should highlight it's positives as much as possible.

I think it's a bit of a scandal in terms of me being a season ticket holder and having to wait a month from the St Mirren game for the next home league match.

However, I don't think it's an excuse when it comes to team performance. I think the team should be well prepared for this sort of thing. Just a shame we've conceded 2 late goals at Aberdeen and Motherwell. We'd be 9 points at the top of the table with Hearts had that not happened. Something that needs addressing I think, because we'll end up dropping more silly points if this ends up being a recurring theme throughout the season.

Edited by RTB2004

16 hours ago, trueblue 64 said:

Visiting difficult away venues so near the start of the season means there is more risk of visiting these same venues 3 times in a season as has happened previously. It makes a total mockery of our " league" setup when certain teams visit difficult away venues more than their rivals do.

Even the SPFL couldn't have us play at CP 3 times in the league in a season, could they??