UEFA Europa League Draw: Villarreal, Rapid Vienna, Spartak Moscow

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

Not the glamorous draw I was hoping for, and with trips to Russia and Villareal, perhaps not the draws that the guys and gals in the travel club were hoping for.

I'd also add that before they started drawing pot 4, there was over a 50% chance we'd end up in pot G. :|

• Rousseau changed the title to UEFA Europa League Draw: Villarreal, Rapid Vienna, Spartak Moscow
2 hours ago, Bill said:

I think it's time to put the EL in proper context. Financially and for the morale of the club it was important to qualify for the group stage. Now however I think the domestic league has to be our primary focus and the EL is for enjoyment only.

That's how I feel too Bill.  We've done brilliantly to make it and of course the team will be trying to win each game,  but there really is no pressure on us in these games.  We are not expected to progress, but that doesn't mean we can't have a party each time our Europa games come around.  The home games are going to be something special, and the trips to Villarreal (a particular highlight for me) and Vienna will be enjoyable for an extended break.  I don't plan on going to Moscow, but two out of the three isn't bad.

The younger bears deserve to experience these European nights.  Most of us remember these nights from previous years and they are just so special.  The day of the games is just about enduring what seems like the longest days ever.  The journey to the match is always fun for me as we discuss the big names we will be facing that evening.  But then the real magic begins when you walk up towards and then enter the stadium and the fans are are in full voice.  It's these nights that get you hooked and it's these nights that will encourage the next generation of bears to follow follow.  Excited?  Damn right I am!

I saw a few bears tweet about the impact this may have on the league prospects.  I understand that, and of course reaching 55 is more important than anything else for us, but back in June on this year we'd have chewed our own hands off to get to the Europa group stages so let's just enjoy it.

6 hours ago, buster. said:

Leegue fixtures that follow EL 

20 September: Group stage, matchday one

St.Johnstone (H)

Villareal away

4 October: Group stage, matchday two

Hearts (H)

Rapid Vienna home

25 October: Group stage, matchday three

Hibs (A)

Spartak at home

8 November: Group stage, matchday four

Motherwell (H)

Spartak away

29 November: Group stage, matchday five

Hearts (A)

Villareal home

13 December: Group stage, matchday six

Hamilton (H)

Rapid Vienna away

It's worked out very well for us with home fixtures ahead of the two tough away games. Unfortunately it's worked out well for Celtic too.

41 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

The younger bears deserve to experience these European nights

Nothing gets the less engaged Rangers fans out there interested like European nights. There are loads out there who will probably only watch the European games this season. European football is huge for the club in so many ways. In a way it's a shame we didn't get a bigger pot 1 team.

Having said all that there's no question that no Rangers fan right now would say Europe is more important than the league. Let's just hope this squad is good enough to do well in both.