Rangers staff risk stoking sectarianism hints Glasgow council boss Susan Aitken

12 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

From what I can gather it started on the cancellation of a proposed fan zone at Ibrox by the actions of Glasgow Councilors

The cancellation was actually due to the objection by the Local Community Council.....

53 minutes ago, Darthter said:

From a recent PanelBase opinion poll....a example of the Independence "split" within Rangers supporters...not a lot in it.

Rangers fans Indy.jpg

I think that shows a big difference between us and them.

It shows that the Rangers support is almost exactly representative of the country as a whole, whereas Celtic's support seems to be more polarised.  Do you think that's a fair assessment?

Edited by Gaffer

51 minutes ago, Darthter said:

The cancellation was actually due to the objection by the Local Community Council.....

This may be true Darther but it doesn't answer the questions raised by the club.

Why was the hearing cancelled?  If there were objections, the whole point of a licensing hearing is to air those objections from the community council (and others) and allow a response from the applicant.  This didn't happen.

Why did Dornan intervene?  They asked if he had prior examples of intervening in such a manner.

And Why did Dornan misrepresent (to the Community Council) the fanzone in such an outrageous fashion (in my opinion) with use of language such as "booze and burgers"?

On what basis did Cllr Aitken then accuse Rangers of sectarianism?

Why did GCC not fulfil simple FOI requests from Club 1872?

Why did Cllr Aitken release private information and then only selected emails onto Twitter and the press?

There may be good explanations for all of these, but I have yet to see them.  That's why I keep saying that the perception I have at the moment is that there is something dodgy going on which suggests a bias (at the very least).

1 hour ago, pete said:

Another point is saying Rangers should use the car park for the fanzone when her cronies are hitting the Rangers support with parking restrictions and payments. I guess the council will make a few bob on that.

Maybe they will sell us the football field for a pound.

Over twenty years past, the then Glasgow District Council sold three streets, Janefield Street, Kinloch Street, and Dalriada Street to ra Sellik for a PENNY. This was after the GDC had incurred the costs of resettlement grants, demolition, and land clearance. Ourselves, Partick Thistle, and Queens Park should receive similar deals. I am happy to provide the penny. 

14 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Do you reckon the Police have been politicised to such an extent that anything to do with Rangers, whether that be players on the pitch or fans inside and outside stadia, are not afforded the same levels of protection as fans and players of other clubs or are treated differently to their detriment Walterbear?

I don’t think the cops are politicised to that level Soul I just think when Rangers are involved they think crowd control as opposed to crowd management. Not sure if that’s coz of our history of volatility such as Manchester, the demographics, match day logistics, scale etc. 

19 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

This may be true Darther but it doesn't answer the questions raised by the club.

Why was the hearing cancelled?  If there were objections, the whole point of a licensing hearing is to air those objections from the community council (and others) and allow a response from the applicant.  This didn't happen.

Why did Dornan intervene?  They asked if he had prior examples of intervening in such a manner.

And Why did Dornan misrepresent (to the Community Council) the fanzone in such an outrageous fashion (in my opinion) with use of language such as "booze and burgers"?

On what basis did Cllr Aitken then accuse Rangers of sectarianism?

Why did GCC not fulfil simple FOI requests from Club 1872?

Why did Cllr Aitken release private information and then only selected emails onto Twitter and the press?

There may be good explanations for all of these, but I have yet to see them.  That's why I keep saying that the perception I have at the moment is that there is something dodgy going on which suggests a bias (at the very least).

I am in total agreement.  When someone is put on the spot and they double down on the bluster and indignation, its a red flag for me.   

48 minutes ago, 26th of foot said:

Over twenty years past, the then Glasgow District Council sold three streets, Janefield Street, Kinloch Street, and Dalriada Street to ra Sellik for a PENNY. This was after the GDC had incurred the costs of resettlement grants, demolition, and land clearance. Ourselves, Partick Thistle, and Queens Park should receive similar deals. I am happy to provide the penny. 

Funnily enough that’s the thing that annoyed me most about this. We already use the car park for parking cars surprise surprise and what we are asking for is an opportunity to expand. If any other business asks for land to be rented to expand there services do they just say ‘use what you’ve already got!’  and not bother going through a reasonably transparent discourse. It was dismissive and arrogant, smacks of bias and reflects badly on her skill set. 

If I was trying to get one over on someone I’d at least use a bit of skill. This was basically an ‘FU’. 

Edited by Walterbear

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

I think that shows a big difference between us and them.

It shows that the Rangers support is almost exactly representative of the country as a whole, whereas Celtic's support seems to be more polarised.  Do you think that's a fair assessment?

What I don’t get about any of this debate  and the attutude of some Rangers fans to others is why anyone thinks they know what was going through the minds of the founding fathers. I bet they were just wanting a kick about and would have played with and against whoever. 

Seriously if the other 51,999 fans at Ibrox dont like or want me there because of what I look like or what my politics are then as far as Im concerned they can all feck off and do something else on a Saturday and I’ll watch Rangers on my own. 

So long as I don’t have to put up with BO  then you’re welcome to sit next to me so long as you support the Rangers.