GN Pod 016 - No longer unbeaten but is progress being made?

• Frankie changed the title to Gersnet Podcast 016 - No longer unbeaten but is progress being made?

Thank's again lads !................Couldn't have been easy doing this on Sunday night.

StevieC

If you cite Coulibally as the main reason for being able to play more effectivelly in a certain formation, then surely it follows that if he doesn't play, the formation won't be as effective.

If you look at all the European away games, we've never been much of an attacking threat. What we have been is first and foremost, a solid defensive shape and haven't looked to compromise it by 'over-attacking'..... because generally, we haven't needed to and in some cases haven't been able to.

What for me has been the most impressive aspect over the European qualifiers, is a management of the tie at hand and doing what was required to get to the next stage.

What we didn't encounter during the qualification process was to go behind in any game.

What happened on Sunday was we were playing a better team than in the European qualifiers and we couldn't hold out, we went behind and it showed up what we are still lacking. That said, SG has been clear about building from the back. He's done a good job of that with a tangible and unexpected reward.

We move on.........

42 minutes ago, buster. said:

What for me has been the most impressive aspect over the European qualifiers, is a management of the tie at hand and doing what was required to get to the next stage.

This is such a key point, because all four of our ties required serious game management in the second leg, and the way all ties were managed shows the intellect of our management team

2 minutes ago, rfb1872 said:

This is such a key point, because all four of our ties required serious game management in the second leg, and the way all ties were managed shows the intellect of our management team

.......and that the comunication between mgmt team and players is good.

• Frankie changed the title to GN Pod 016 - No longer unbeaten but is progress being made?

Great job again guys.  I couldn't have done this after the game on Sunday so I think it deserves special recognition and praise for this one.  Really enjoyed the chat and opinions as usual.  You've created a brilliant format and output so well done to all involved in these.

Thanks for the comments gents.

Yes, it wasn't easy striking a balance between trying to be constructively critical and tempering one's frustration. The manager is new to the job and is learning as he goes along. Obviously, he has a tremendous breadth of knowledge to start from, not to mention working under some keen football management intellects as a player, but there is no substitute for gaining first hand experience of something for yourself.

I trust him and his staff implicitly to get it right over the course of the season.

For what it's worth, I think we did the right thing by ending on the positives of good player recruitment and extended European participation.

Onwards and upwards.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

Thank's again lads !................Couldn't have been easy doing this on Sunday night.

StevieC

If you cite Coulibally as the main reason for being able to play more effectivelly in a certain formation, then surely it follows that if he doesn't play, the formation won't be as effective.

If you look at all the European away games, we've never been much of an attacking threat. What we have been is first and foremost, a solid defensive shape and haven't looked to compromise it by 'over-attacking'..... because generally, we haven't needed to and in some cases haven't been able to.

What we didn't encounter during the qualification process was to go behind in any game.

What happened on Sunday was we were playing a better team than in the European qualifiers and we couldn't hold out, we went behind and it showed up what we are still lacking. That said, SG has been clear about building from the back. He's done a good job of that with a tangible and unexpected reward.

We move on.........

Quite 

but point was we are a much better & effective team with him there 

I may not have put it across well but I wasn’t in most upbeat of moods tbf ! 

Was a difficult pod to do when all your inner self wanted to do was swear, rant & rant some more about the result ! 

1 minute ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

...but I wasn’t in most upbeat of moods tbf ! 

Was a difficult pod to do when all your inner self wanted to do was swear, rant & rant some more about the result ! 

Too true Stevie.

As I mentioned above, it wasn't overly easy to rationalise without sounding either overly critical of the players or much worse imo, too fawning and exempting Stevie of any blame.

It was always going to be a tough ask in my view. And without sounding smart after the event, I fancied us to get beat. I didn't think that getting a draw was beyond us but the collective optimism seen in some quarters that we were going to go to their place and turn them over relatively easily was misplaced.

The management will have learned a great deal from the whole affair on many levels. It will have shown Stevie just how despised he is by that shower. He will feel it for the first time as a Ranger rather than an interested bystander. That is a vitally important detail in my view.

Not only that, it will not be lost on him the value in letting them and Rodgers off the hook (something I neglected to mention during the recording which was intended). He will be stung by it and will be more than ready the next time.

Being lucid and fair minded is a big part of doing these pods for me, doubly so after a sore reverse.

Ross and Stevie deserve credit for doing the business on that score.