http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=405&Itemid=1

As we did last week with the players, itââ?¬â?¢s now the turn of the staff to receive their end of season report cards. From Paul Le Guen to David Murray ââ?¬â?? all notable staff will be appraised. Today, weââ?¬â?¢ll begin with the managers and then weââ?¬â?¢ll move upstairs.

So, make a cup of tea, open the Kit-Kats and let us know whether or not you disagree with Gersnet�s assessments.

* Paul Le Guen

It may seem a little strange analysing a manager who is no longer here but PLG�s effect on our season is still pretty obvious so it�s worth discussing. Initially, the Frenchman arrived in a blaze of publicity with an instant burden of expectation placed on his shoulders by the Rangers support. It�s difficult to put a finger on exactly what went wrong but I guess it�s down to a number of factors.

Firstly, although PLG�s success record was second to none, it appears his man management skills weren�t quite as refined. We all know about the various alleged fall outs with Barry Ferguson (and a few other players) but I think the main problem the manager had wasn�t with anyone else but with his own discipline. I think right from the outset, Le Guen felt that wouldn�t have too much trouble in Scotland. He didn�t do his research properly and his signings (although restricted in terms of affordability) were arguably too raw to make the instant impressions required. This, along with his far too stubborn attitude and his alleged failure to settle into the British way of life, means that perhaps the biggest personality clash was with himself.

Secondly, and most obviously, the results and performances just were just not happening. A bright (and arguably unlucky) start wasn�t developed properly and the team�s morale and confidence was built on a house of cards. One could sense footballing improvement over time but the least setback and we were right back to square one. Notwithstanding our excellent European displays, our form was far too patchy and PLG�s obdurate attitude to tactics and his incapability to fix our most basic faults eventually led to his departure. Not intending to improve the central defence in January was the last straw for the chairman.

Thus, the PLG era came to a quick ââ?¬â?? and arguably premature ââ?¬â?? conclusion. It certainly didnââ?¬â?¢t pan out as many of us hoped and the disappointment is still seen from a large part of the Rangers support as we speak. Would we eventually have improved under Le Guen? Would we have finished in second place? Would the player relationships have improved? Would Barry Ferguson still be captain? Would any new signings have fixed our obvious problems? Would we be able to mount a SPL challenge next season? These types of questions are still impossible to answer if PLG was still in charge. Meanwhile, the very fact Walter Smith has answered them positively means it was the right decision to appoint him.

There are obviously positives to retain from the previous manager�s spell in charge. The re-emergence of Alan Hutton is not down to Walter Smith as many people argue but down to the fact that Le Guen persevered with the right back through the bad results and performances. The same goes for the likes of Charlie Adam and Kris Boyd who despite never really being outstanding have played an important part in this season. The recall of Nacho Novo bringing hard work and spirit just when we needed it and placing more responsibility on Brahim Hemdani also yielded some long term rewards. Moreover, the much criticised 4-2-3-1 formation which PLG couldn�t get to work consistently has now been the spine that Smith has used to secure second place. For these benefits, we should be big enough to appreciate the contribution Paul Le Guen had in them.

To conclude, its obvious PLG�s tenure was a failure. However, I think there are enough glimpses of a French hand to suggest it�s not as clear a failure as some would have you believe.

Score ââ?¬â?? 4

* Walter Smith

I think the best way to approach Smith�s 5 months in charge is to immediately answer the questions above. I�m not sure any Rangers fan was as excited as they were about PLG regarding Smith�s arrival. The appointment smacked of the usual David Murray short-termism and many thought it was a backwards step. However, it has proven to be the right one. The saying may be familiarity breeds contempt but in Smith�s case (backed up with his Scottish management team) it was a case of familiarity breeding assurance.

Immediately, Smith set about his work in the most straightforward manner. He brought in two experienced centre-halves to fix our obvious defensive frailties whilst retaining a conservative attitude to tactics. The appointment of Ally McCoist would have helped alleviate the dressing-room tension and Kenny McDowall being snatched from Celtic showed Smith wouldn�t be denied in what he wanted.

As such, although improvement wasn�t huge, it was evident and morale lifted quickly. David Weir was an inspiration at the back, Barry Ferguson was back playing to his full capabilities in midfield and results (although not always performances) were coming in. Also, of vital important was an away Old Firm win in early March which showed the management team hadn�t lost any of their blessings when it came to these fixtures.

Clinching second spot at the weekend with another convincing win over our arch rivals showed that the appointment was definitely the right one. Being undefeated domestically since Smith�s arrival was an impressive turn around. Yes, second place shouldn�t be deemed acceptable but in this season�s context it was imperative. Now, the fans can look forward to next season with a smile rather than a frown.

However, the smile may not be as big as we�d all like. Paul Le Guen had brought some excellent European tactical nous and Smith has already shown signs of weakness at this level. We all know from Smith�s previous years that the European arena isn�t the best part of his CV so doubts will linger about his suitability in that regard. In addition to that negative, the last few years have seen a few younger players break into the first team. Steven Smith, Alan Hutton and Chris Burke have all contributed to a fair degree so it will be interesting to see if Smith intends to explore the potential of some of the younger players such as Lennon, Shinnie and Furman.

If he can do that, deliver domestic success and achieve the holy grail of European level consistency and respectability, this could be an even more successful period in charge for Walter Smith. Obviously, that�s easier said than done and he�ll need the funds to do so but he certainly won�t have the same kind of cash that he did in the 1990s. Can he take this second place and improve upon it? The jury still remains out but appointing Smith has shown it won�t be any less risky than employing the so-called cream of managerial talent.

Score ââ?¬â?? 7.5

Great read Frankie, hard to disagree with anything there.

Certainly looking forward to next season and interested over the coming months the coming and going of players.

I thought you gave PLG a -4 score until I read WSs report and realised my mistake!

WS has undoubtebly reformed the club on the playing field but my worry next season is that we'll be a laughing stock in europe getting gubbed off teams we should be beating with ease. The SPL should be our main aim next season but a decent run in europe isn't to much to ask for either and with WS at the helm I see that as as impossible dream.

To me Le Guen was seemingly very adept at putting round pegs into round holes, however the Rangers squad and the SPL were a like square peg and Le Guen insisted on continually trying to get them in the round hole. Walter Smith recognised the square peg and knew where the square hole was...

One of the rules of life is, "you can't fix what you don't acknowledge".

Another is, "if you keep doing the same thing you shouldn't be surprised if you keep getting the same result".

Le Guen should learn them.