Tranent v Haddington (aka Ian Black discussion)

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

He was okay at Hearts.

We should never have signed him.  I'd rather forget that era, other than some of the enjoyable trips.

I hope we learn something from all the crap players we signed from Scottish clubs during that period. Looking good at a non old firm club means very little.

4 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Aye, I can't remember how long he played for us, but at 9k per week and he has blown the lot just tells you what kind of person he is!!, his earning would set most people up for life.

Sorry Ian I am not buying that. Some great guy's have lost all their money or have become alcoholic or gambleholic. It is not necessary they have become a bad person. Everyone still seems to love Gazza and he is probably the most lost by the wayside person ever to have played for us.

13 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Aye, I can't remember how long he played for us, but at 9k per week and he has blown the lot just tells you what kind of person he is!!, his earning would set most people up for life.

He played 115 games for us on our way back, scored 8 goals and assisted 22 more,as a central / defensive mdifielder. He received 34 yellow cards (many of which oftentimes simply because he was Ian Black), 4 of which culiminated in 2 reds. As with e.g. Miller, when he stepped on the field he gave 100 % of what an Ian Black was able to give.  Many did not like him from the off and I read a lot (as in A LOT) of biased comments on here and FF. There is no doubt that he ain't a player Rangers FC would have signed under different circumstances. Players like him are littering the lower tiers of Scottish football as well as the lesser teams of the Premiership. Just remember the sort of fouls being done to our players these last two or three seasons and a dozen "professionals" will spring to mind who are far worse than Black. Not to mention that excuse of a human being aptly called TLB.

Anyway, one does not need to sing praises of Ian Black, but he came when we needed him and did his job.

Like others he did a job for us and had passion.I remember one match where Templeton was having another howler,and seemed to be not trying.

Black then got into his face and I don't know what he said but Templeton "woke up" and showed the type of player he could be.

As dB said many of his booking were just because that was what ref's liked to do to him.

Black was also the forerunner to the current tradition of booing Rangers players when they play for Scotland. In our first year in the lower leagues, he was called up to the Scotland squad and was booed when he came on as a substitute in a friendly. You could say he was a trailblazer.