Serena Williams - Bully and Liar

I’ve tried and failed but I give up ... can anyone with a modicum of sense explain why Stewarty appears to be excusing Williams’ actions by deliberately promoting a grievance that simply doesn’t exist. Is this just routine snowflakery or is there a rational point buried in these ramblings?

I think that this has been done to death.

An experienced umpire, known for being picky, pedantic if you like, penalised a tennis player, twice; the player then threw an almighty strop and accused him of being, basically, a cheat. He, quite rightly, and within the established codes and rules punished the player again. 

For some people, because the player is a woman of colour, the rules do not apply, by reasons of sex and of race. It's kind of like positive discrimination, only it is not evident that the player was a victim of anything other than infraction of the rules, except perhaps tautologically. 

21 hours ago, stewarty said:

Re-read what I have said.   And then also examine the extent to which you can say categorically one way or the other, that there is absolutely no valid discussion to be had around the issues raised as a result of  this incident.  I have consistently challenged on that basis, not whether Williams was out of order in the way she acted.

The very fact that there continue to be various people coming out and debating the points suggest to me that there is much more to this than meets the eye. 

But please continue to misrepresent my words if you like...

You can argue until you’re blue in the face that because some people are stating another viewpoint, then there must be a valid argument. Fair enough. It doesn’t make their argument valid. Lots of people seem to be making a career out of arguing against “injustices” that don’t exist these days. It doesn’t make them right though.

In this case, as is many other cases, the people arguing that there is an issue, are trying to make an issue out of a non-issue to score points and remain relevant in what is an ongoing power grab of gender politics.

21 hours ago, stewarty said:

Re-read what I have said.   And then also examine the extent to which you can say categorically one way or the other, that there is absolutely no valid discussion to be had around the issues raised as a result of  this incident.  I have consistently challenged on that basis, not whether Williams was out of order in the way she acted.

The very fact that there continue to be various people coming out and debating the points suggest to me that there is much more to this than meets the eye. 

But please continue to misrepresent my words if you like...

You can argue until you’re blue in the face that because some people are stating another viewpoint, then there must be a valid argument. Fair enough. It doesn’t make their argument valid. Lots of people seem to be making a career out of arguing against “injustices” that don’t exist these days. It doesn’t make them right though.

In this case, as is many other cases, the people arguing that there is an issue, are trying to make an issue out of a non-issue to score points and remain relevant in what is an ongoing power grab of gender politics.

18 hours ago, stewarty said:

The two Times articles are quite good in terms of playing out the arguments.  In other words, Williams most certainly over-reacted and is deserving of criticism.  She's reacted emotionally and was lashing out, but the wider context is one of there being a complex set of forces at play which are deserving of a light being shone on them.  Just because it came out when she was less measured in her tone, doesn't mean they should be dismissed out of hand.

The very fact she seems to be spouting them whilst she is losing a match shows that they are not valid claims, and that they are borne of anger, not injustice.

For the record, their is inequality in tennis - in Wimbledon, women play much less tennis and get, pro-rata, paid more. Maybe Williams should speak out against that.

16 hours ago, Bill said:

I’ve tried and failed but I give up ... can anyone with a modicum of sense explain why Stewarty appears to be excusing Williams’ actions by deliberately promoting a grievance that simply doesn’t exist. Is this just routine snowflakery or is there a rational point buried in these ramblings?

Perhaps you've not been able to explain because you continually misrepresent what I said.  To be clear, I haven't excused her behaviour at all.  

9 minutes ago, stewarty said:

Perhaps you've not been able to explain because you continually misrepresent what I said.  To be clear, I haven't excused her behaviour at all.  

I agree that you have condemned Williams’ outburst but you suggest there may be an underlying reason for it implying justifcation.

For example I expect Williams is angry about police violence against black people. There is a case there to be made but surely not by busting a racquet and abusing an umpire in a tennis match.